"New York Philosophy" Message Board › Anthony Peake Presentation at Roosevelt Hotel

Anthony Peake Presentation at Roosevelt Hotel

Kevin C.
user 8219519
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Is There Life After Death?Share
Today at 12:47pm | Edit Note | Delete
Tonight I attended a lecture by the author and researcher Anthony Peake, who wrote the book "Is There Life After Death?" The lecture was really intriguing, if somewhat discordant and unconvincing. The cool thing about Peake's work is that it isn't a hard sell, and he was a very entertaining and gracious speaker.

Basically, Peake's theory is something like this:

If you have ever seen the Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day", you pretty much know the general premise. After you die, you do what Bill Murray's character did in that movie- except instead of reliving one day, you relive your entire life over and over again.

Unlike that film, you are not always consciously aware of the fact that you are reliving your experiences, so you can't necessarily change the outcomes. However, sometimes we are aware that we have experienced something before, and call the feeling Deja Vu. In fact, Peake argues, in many instances we have irrefutable evidence that people have tapped into their awareness of previous run-throughs of their life and can predict future occurrences with remarkable and eerie accuracy. People in all cultures of the world and famous individuals such as Winston Churchill, Rudyard Kipling, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Vincent Van Gogh and others have claimed that they have heard "voices" that have given them uncanny knowledge of the future or the past. He said that in many instances, the evidence for the authenticity of these perceptions and their existence is undeniable (see the album artwork below of the twin towers-as many of you know, the album artwork on the left came out in May of 2001, inspired by a "dream" the artist had)

Peake claims that these type of phenomenon are best explained by the theory that we are perpetually living our lives in a virtually infinite replay cycle. He also believes that each person has a Daemon(I think he believes that the Daemon exists within your brain, but I am not sure.) And this "Daemon" entity is the link that feeds you episodes of awareness of your previous life replays, and is more or less active or aggressive in different individuals. He says that people with various neurological disorders, particularly epilepsy, have absolutely stunning bouts of pre-cognition, many of which are documented.

Peake says that he is also in contact with many PhD physicists who help him support his theory through the mathematics of quantum mechanics, although he declined to go into specifics because of time constraints (As it was, the presentation, which mostly discussed the neurological/psychological evidence Peake deals with, took almost two hours).

I really enjoyed the presentation and I bought his book. While I think (and he would admit) that his theory raises more questions than it answers about life after death, EVEN if it is true (which it isn't), I also think that the world needs people like Peake, because he seems to be genuinely and honestly investigating areas of research that tend to be inaccessible to many in academia, due to the fact that respected universities do not want to fund research dealing with issues perceived to be "paranormal". What ends up happening is that these topics become the realm of decidedly un-scientific hucksters and quacks. I think that we all have a sort of intuitive sense that there is really weird stuff that goes on that isn't necessarily replicable in a scientific setting, but is none-the-less worth researching, and Peake appears to be genuine and grounded (for example, he states that almost all instances reported of near-death experiences in which people are able to see things that they would not be able to see unless they were having an out of body experience are unverifiable urban legends. How refreshing that was to hear!) I would like to think that I am open-minded, even though we should all be skeptical of amazing stories!

Again, I would like to say thanks to Anthony Peake for a wonderful presentation and agreeing to speak, and thanks to the New York Philosophy Meetup group for putting together a really great free event at an incredible venue (The Roosevelt Hotel). I look forward to attending events in the future (and I can't wait to attend last night's event again when I live my life over again. Next life, I will get there earlier to enjoy the free bar and food.)

For the record, I think that some of the ideas Peake presented would make an excellent scary b-movie starring perhaps Lindsay Lohan, or maybe even Jessica Alba. Imagine a scene where you know that if you see yourself as a doppleganger it is a certain harbinger of your death and then-you see yourself? Or your Daemon tells you that you need to do weird stuff or your going to ensure your untimely demise? That scary stuff kept me up all night! I know its all been done to death, but maybe they could refurbish a story like that and put cell-phones in it (since everyone has only had cell-phones for the last 10 years or so...).

Here is an interesting question that Anthony Peake began his lecture with (borrowed from the nihilst philosopher Freidrieche Nietczhe):

If it WERE true that you were going to live your life- this life you are living right now, not a different life(maybe a minor change here and there, lol) over and over again for eternity- would this be the best news you have ever heard...or the worst?

:o)

-Kevin Eric Clark

PS_ I would love to make friends with members of this group through Facebook, which I check frequently.

Please friend me up :o)

http://www.facebook.c...­

Philosophy lecture
Susan Marie K.
user 9846983
New York, NY
Post #: 9
[b]Very nice review: Very fair, balanced, and astute analysis. I have known Anthony Peake for the past 2 + years. I am the Global Moderator of his Itladian Philosophy section on his international forum, and had long planned to invite him to New York. I feel John Broughton and the presence of this group were essential in pulling off this event. I have received many congratulatory emails and calls, but my sense is Peake has reached a point where he needs to shift ground. I would love to hold another such event at the Roosevelt in 8 months time, or so, perhaps as a debate/panel discussion; Perhaps involving City University. I was impressed with J Broughton's style, and see potential there , excessively so.

I am one of the "Peake believers"; yet I have always told Peake that although his core scholarship is sound, he needs to drop all association with the New Age camp. Either/Or: Either "soften", and choose that group as the sole following, or harden up, and shift more toward philosophical realism and science. I know he has it in him to do the latter. I am of the opinion that Nietzsche is more his core than Near Death studies. But then, I know the man personally. Hope there is still, as the I Ching says, " a large fruit uneaten", and that the future may bring the fostering and redeeming power. Thank you to all.