addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

"New York Philosophy" Message Board › A Critique of Pure Reason - Submissions and Discussions

A Critique of Pure Reason - Submissions and Discussions

John
broughton
New York, NY
Post #: 207
This message thread is for "A Critique of Pure Reason". Please submit questions for consideration for the event, as well as discuss any/all related topics before and after the event.
A former member
Post #: 1
A brilliant man spoke today, on what many of us (in the broadest sense) have become, philosophically. Here's a link : http://www.zerohedge....­
Mark
user 6203323
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Albert,...The power of suggestion, huh? Were you a marketing executive? Your points make sense, but you know I like a bit more definition and clarity, because when there is too much vagueness, there is also too much room for misinterpretation,...and getting things wrongtongue
Mark
user 6203323
New York, NY
Post #: 3
Steve,...you're an FX guy? I didn't know that,.....I dabble a bit. And your posting is well receivedtongue
A former member
What do you mean, "some objectivity to the sciences"? Elaborate. How are the sciences relevant to this discussion? In respect to what? How we perceive reality? lol you lost me, no offense.

Damn yo I don't think I can make it to this discussion. I really really want to go and continue further with this discussion face to face and not having to wait for a response etc.
A former member
Post #: 2
It'd be great if you could be there, Ramon. Your viewpoint's refreshing.
Mark
user 6203323
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Ramon, I think you mentioned that rationality was subjective,....I took that to mean the way a person works out his/her logic within has a cultural/experiential base,.....but math and science is logic to the highest degree, and its more objective than not. So maybe my confusion was in understandind what you meant by rationality being subjective.tongue
A former member
Post #: 1
This message thread is for "A Critique of Pure Reason". Please submit questions for consideration for the event, as well as discuss any/all related topics before and after the event.

When is this event and where?

JC
A former member
John, pls find meetup details here : http://www.nyphilosop...­
A former member
Post #: 4
Ramon, I think you mentioned that rationality was subjective,....I took that to mean the way a person works out his/her logic within has a cultural/experiential base, but thats another topic......but math and science is logic to the highest degree, and its more objective than not. So maybe my confusion was in understandind what you meant by rationality being subjective.tongue

Yea that's what I meant. And yes mathematical logic, whether induction/deduction, or any of the other sciences, is objective, for the most part. quantum mechanics and general relativity still haven't been unified.....

When you step into the realm of science, one can clearly be wrong if their deduction skills suck or if your reasoning is flawed. Hence why it is objective

Another issue is that we don't know EVERYTHING there is to know. We only know, or claim to understand what we perceive throughout our perceived reality. So even IF our reasons, or propositions were legit, and are rationale were or seemed correct, it could in fact be irrational. I can't think of an example, but I'm speaking theoretically. Well you can use any theory as an example.

But you can't necessarily apply scientific rigor to a social/human construct.

I felt that I slightly wandered away from the philosophical topic haha