addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The New York City Rat Meetup Group Message Board › Spay/neuter status of rats for adoption

Spay/neuter status of rats for adoption

nina b.
user 9132744
New York, NY
Post #: 11
Is it possible to post the spay/neuter status when ratties are up for adoption? Would help a lot with the decision (for me, anyway) of whether to adopt, as (I believe) the procedure may be necessary but can be expensive. I have an old boy and am considering a new girl/s to keep him company, but obviously they'd have to be spayed first. Thanks, Nina
Raquel
Raquel2
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 1,883
Hi Nina,

When rats are posted for adoption, you may email the contact and ask the spay/neuter status. I post it when I have the information, but I do courtesy posting so I can only post what I have on hand. People need to go to the contact for more information. I spread the word to thousands of people and don't have time to ask what was not provided to me to post.

The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine has a low cost spay/neuter clinic:
http://avianandexotic...­
Ask for the price that includes pain medicine for home use and remember to request the pain medicine at time of discharge or you will be sent home without it. The last quoted price for this complete service was $115 per rat. It is required that the rat be between 4 and 6 months of age and that you know that the rat is healthy.

New young girls might be too active for your boy and spaying an old girl is not recommended unless the vet needs to do it for medical reasons. So, I see your need to know if the girl(s) are spayed.

Thank you,
Raquel
Danielle
user 11236015
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 211
Wow! $115 is a good price! Would not have expected that in NYC. Good info, Raquel.
Raquel
Raquel2
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 1,884
Hi Lynn Daniels,

It is a good idea to read the information on the spay/neuter clinic and waiver pdf carefully. There is a rat age requirement and the rat must be healthy. If there are complications or the rat must stay overnight, then there are additional charges. They are able to make the price reasonable by limiting the offer to rats that are at an age to be good surgical candidates if they are healthy.

Thank you,
Raquel