addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The New York Ice Skating Meetup Group Message Board › buying ice skates

buying ice skates

Lynn
LMCZ
New York, NY
Post #: 6
I've been using the same ice skates for years now. I'd like to buy something new and better (for recreational ice skating). I took ice skating lessons as an adult several years ago and went from pre-apha to beta or gamma. I was looking at www.usaskate.com and see the following brands: Riedell Figure Skates, Jackson Figure Skates, Gam Figure Skates, CCM Figure Skates. Can anyone recommend a brand and style in a women's figure skate (something for a beginner)?

Thanks!
L.Z.
Binky M.
BinkyMelnik
New York, NY
Post #: 15
LZ:

Once someone suggests a brand to you, consider buying skates via Craigslist to save a mint (unless you have a mint to spend). I got barely-used skates for $15 from a lady in a posh high-rise who'd bought them, apparently tried them out, then decided skating's not her bag after all. There's a scuff on one toe and on one ankle. Whee! I felt as if I'd stolen them!

Good luck,

Binky
Heather
hwja_wi
New York, NY
Post #: 119
Oh, But I bet every time you put those skates on they bring a big smile to your face! :-D
Lynn
LMCZ
New York, NY
Post #: 7
I ended up buying Riedell figure skates at Chelsea Piers. I found out that you need to order a size or size and a 1/2 smaller when buying ice skates so buying online could have been a fiasco.
Binky M.
BinkyMelnik
New York, NY
Post #: 16
That's why you know what your size is first! You certainly can't got around buying big-ticket items blindly online; if you don't know your size, then go to the store to try it on first THEN get it online.

Unless you have cash to burn. Then to go the store and go to town! (And take me with you, please!)

If you can't find something to try on and it's expensive and a private sale, ask the seller whether you can try something on. Chances are they won't want to waste their time (can you blame them?), but a *few* people are cool. (My former roommate and I bent over backwards for people. Hey, if they wanna trek in from Far Rockaway three times to look at an antique sewing machine, it's no skin off my teeth!) And with skates, you'll wanna stick your feet in 'em anyway just to make sure your feet don't swim in 'em ('cause they turn out to be huge) or they don't rub painfully on your heels ('cause they're too small or worn funny). Fancy Lady let me try hers on in her lobby and I walked around a bit in her lobby while more Fancy People came and went and I felt pretty silly.

So if you also get some skates from someone on CraigsList, don't meet 'em in say, a subway station; you'll wanna walk around in the skates a bit. Meet somewhere carpeted. (I prefer hotel bars.)

Good luck!