The New York Ice Skating Meetup Group Message Board › New rink at Battery Park City

New rink at Battery Park City

Gene
GeneGrinnell
Franklin Square, NY
Post #: 20
Has anyone checked out the ice rink at Battery Park City?

I haven't yet but I'd like to if anyone else is interested.

Hours:
Monday - Friday, 1pm-10pm
Saturday, 10am-10pm
Sunday, 11am-9pm

Admission: $10
Skate Rental: $3
Discounts: $90 for 10 admissions
Holly H.
user 3528741
New York, NY
Post #: 1
I've been. It's nice, as a public skating session rink goes. I thought it might be windy but there were enough tall buildings around to block the wind. It's mostly kids and teenagers, occasional lessons in the middle, and the skate guards don't really stop horseplay, they just run to check on people who've fallen.

Nonetheless, if you go in the afternoon it's not terribly crowded yet and the space feels very open.

Of course, I'm a bit biased because it's incredibly convenient to my office. I'll be stopping by fairly often until the season ends on February 16th.

Also a coach told me that the ice actually opens at 11 am on weekdays, even though the web says 1 pm. I haven't confirmed that yet.

Happy Skating,
Holly
Alex
ajacoby
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
Ditto what Holly said. I went on a Saturday morning and they were fairly empty. They didn't bug us when we did jumps and spins. The tall buildings surrounding it keep it in the shade most the time, so dress warm. Also I was pretty disappointed that they didn't build the proposed ice path around the park.

When I went a few weeks ago I couldn't find any accurate information online as to the location. Eventually after wandering around Battery Park City long enough I found a local who could direct me. Hopefully that's been fixed by now.

Best,
Alex