Newcastle's Local Get Together - for anything & everything Message Board › Online Safety Warning - Watch out for scammers

Online Safety Warning - Watch out for scammers

Michael
newcastle-guy
Newcastle, AU
Post #: 14
Hi folks,

It was brought to my attention by a very perceptive member that Mark W. is a scammer, using stolen photos. The same photos were in use on an American meetup profile but it has since been deleted. "Mark" has been sending the same copy and paste message to numerous women asking them to contact him privately via a Yahoo email address.

I would advise not to do so.

I have been in contact with Meetup admin and they are now looking into it. I also received an email from an American woman who was sucked in by one of these scammers and lost $1,500.

This is an appropriate time to give some online safety tips;

* Don't put information on your profile that should remain public, such as your phone number or email address.
* If a stranger asks for your email address, correspond for a while through the site you met them on. When you send an email to someone on Meetup, there is a tick box where you can hide your actual email address.
* If someone starts telling you a sob story about needing money for something important, then that is probably what it is - a story.
* Don't be hasty to give our your mobile number either.
* If in doubt, don't.

Regards
Michael
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks Michael, I was a little surprised at the request for email correspondence since meet up is about ...meeting up!
Katherine
user 64353032
Newcastle, AU
Post #: 1
I received his message too. I'm glad I went with my 'gut feeling' to not accept his offer to 'correspond', it just didn't feel right! Thank you Michael for letting us know for sure.