August 24, 2013 · 7:00 PM
READ the event description before signing up!
Also read these pages if you haven't done so already since you joined the group:
This event is about:
Star trails, Milky Way, Mountains lit up by moonlight and whatever you want to take a picture of in Yosemite. This is a one night event. Exact meeting location hasn't been decided yet, meeting time may change. No hiking required, but maybe do an optional hike of 1-2miles.
Event RSVP/waitinglist, lottery, attendance, limit etc:
The waitinglist and lottery is to give everyone that signs up for this event a fair chance to be selected and able to attend because group size is limited and this is a special event.
This event is limited to 14.
The event is limited because I don't want to deal with more people, some locations don't provide more space and we are not alone there!
Everyone on the waiting list will be in the pool for the lottery. People with the most recent no-shows or who have proved troublesome to deal with will get the lowest priority at the selection process.
I'm tracking no Shows for this event. Guests are not permitted.
If you change to a "NO" status less than 3 days prior to the event you are counted as a No-Show. (i.e. after August 21th , 7:00 PM)
What you need:
- camera with lenses that cover an effective focal length of[masked]mm is recommended
- 1-2 spare charged camera batteries or battery grip or external power source
- spare memory card(s)
- sturdy/solid tripod where nothing wiggles or is lose
- for taking star trails you need an intervalometer which can be one integrated in the camera (max 30s shutter speed) or external intervalometer
- red light! (or flash light that can be switched to red light) + spare battery and/or spare light
- comfy and warm hiking shoes, warm layered clothing, knit hat, light gloves, heavy socks : from day to night temperatures will drop up to 40°F)
- water, snacks
Sunrise: 6:22am Sunset: 7:37pm
(Illumination 80%) Moonrise: 9:42pm Moonset(Sunday): 10:21am
Civil 5:54am 8:05pm
Nautical: 5:21am 8:38pm
Astron': 4:47am 9:12pm
Milky Way visible from around 9pm until around 10pm
Carpooling strongly recommended
Parking in the park is free. But there is a National Park fee per vehicle of $20 (valid for a week).
Q&A about night photography: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/8314753
If you want to do star trails and haven't done it yet you may want to read up on that, http://blog.starcircleacademy.com/?s=startrail there are also plenty other blogs/articles about that on the Internet