May 24, 2013 · 10:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
READ the event description before signing up!
Also read these pages if you haven't done so already since you joined the group:
This event is about:
Star trails, Mountains lit up by moonlight, MoonBow and whatever you want to take a picture of in Yosemite. This is a one night event on Friday/weekday you need to leave the Bay Area before 6pm (East Bay) and before 5pm (SF, SJ) to get to Yosemite in time!
Event RSVP, attendance, limit etc:
People with the most recent no-shows or who have proved troublesome to deal with will get the lowest priority at the selection process.
I'm tracking no Shows for this event. Guests are not permitted.
If you change to a "NO" status less than 3 days prior to the event you are counted as a No-Show. (i.e. after May 21th , 9:00 PM)
What you need:
- camera with lenses that cover an effective (35mm full frame equivalent) focal length of[masked]mm is recommended
- 1-2 spare charged camera batteries or battery grip or external power source
- spare memory card(s)
- sturdy/solid tripod where nothing wiggles or is loose
- rain cover for camera and lens (can be just a simple plastic bag with rubber band), lint free cloth to wipe water from lens/filter
- for taking star trails you need an intervalometer which can be one integrated in the camera (max 30s shutter speed) or external intervalometer
- red light! (or flash light that can be switched to red light) + spare battery and/or spare light
- comfy and warm shoes, warm layered clothing, knit hat, light gloves, heavy socks : from day to night temperatures will drop up to 40°F)
- water, snacks
Sunrise: 5:42am Sunset: 8:08pm
(Full moon) Moonrise: 7:57pm Moonset(Saturday): 5:16am
Civil 5:11am 8:39pm
Nautical: 4:34am 9:16pm
Astron': 3:53am 9:58pm
Moonbow time: Upper Yosemite fall 9:20pm - 11:10pm, Lower Yosemite Fall 10:30pm -12:10am
Carpooling strongly recommended
Parking in the park is free. But there is a National Park fee per vehicle of $20 (valid for a week).
Q&A about night photography: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/8314753
If you want to do star trails and haven't done it yet you may want to read up on that, http://blog.starcircleacademy.com/?s=startrail there are also plenty other blogs/articles about that on the Internet.
Why the cryptic event name? Because some people tend not to read the event descriptions if the title gives away what the event is about. Hopefully now they read the description.