READ the event description before signing up!
Also read these pages if you haven't done so already since you joined the group:
This event is about:
Take pictures of Sunset, Milky Way, Startrails at a scenic location in Yosemite. This is a one night event with camping. Hiking to shooting location is required, more than 7miles (one way) with elevation gain of more than 2000 feet. This is a strenuous hike at high elevation, above 9000ft!
Event RSVP/waitinglist, lottery, attendance, limit, costs etc:
The waitinglist and lottery is to give everyone that signs up for this event a fair chance to be selected and able to attend because space is limited and this is a special event. Everyone on the waiting list will be in the pool for the lottery. People with the most recent no-shows or who have proved troublesome to deal with will get the lowest priority at the selection process.
- Event limited to: 6 ppl
- Lottery date: 7/11
- Wilderness permit: $7.5 (incl. PayPal fees) per person payable via PayPal
- Bear canister rentals: $2 per person
This fee needs to be paid by the attendee within 2 days after RSVP has been changed to Yes (you'll get a notification with payment information). Refunds (minus PayPal fee) when you cancel only when your spot can be filled by someone else! No refunds otherwise even when trail is inaccessible. It is at the host's discretion and permit availability to reschedule the event in case the event had to be cancelled.
If you change to a "NO" status less than 3 days prior to the event you are counted as a No-Show. I'm tracking no Showsfor this event. Guests are not permitted.
Accommodation suggestions before/after event:
With the wilderness permit everyone in the group is authorized to stay at the backpackers campground one night before and after the event if you want to (White Wolf, North pines, Tuolumne Meadows, Hetch Hetchy). For the backpackers campground is no reservation required. It costs $5 per person and night to be paid in cash at the campground. Rangers may ask for the wilderness permit number (I'll give you that number after you paid the wilderness permit fee). Other suggestions, read here: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/24787782
required(after you've been selected):
- complete Emergency Contact Formand return it to the event host
- complete a Waiver of Liabilityand return it to the event host
- preparation hike to Mission Peak (via Horse Heaven trail) no later than a week before the event with all equipment you'll carry at the event in less than 5hours (roundtrip)
- camera with wide angle lens (with effective focal length of 24mm or less) + standard zoom lens
- for taking Milky Way pictures you need a camera that handles ISO 2000 well (or acceptable for you)
- 1-2 spare charged camera batteries or battery grip or external power source
- sturdy/solid tripod where nothing wiggles or is lose
- for taking star trails you need an intervalometer which can be one integrated in the camera (max 30s shutter speed) or external intervalometer
- red light! (or flash light that can be switched to red light) + spare battery and/or spare light
- comfy and warm hiking shoes, warm layered clothing, knit hat, light gloves, heavy socks : from day to night temperatures will drop up to 45°F
- water at least 2x 32 fl oz
- camping gear (tent, sleeping bag...)
recommended to bring:
- insect repellent, itch relief
- 2nd camera with wide angle lens (if you want to take startrails and Milky Way pictures at the same time)
- mat/pad to sit or knee on
- extra socks
- energy drink if you need it ...
More suggestions and tips about backpacking here: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/25829452
Start: Ten Lakes trailhead (GPS[masked], [masked]) @7500'
Destination: Ten Lakes (GPS [masked],[masked]) @8950'
1-way distance is 7 miles with a total elevation gain of 2300 feet.
Map of trail and distance and elevation chart
Trip report from the internet
Sun and Moon data
Saturday 10 August 2013 Universal Time - 7h
Begin civil twilight 05:41
Sun transit 13:03
End civil twilight 20:25
Moonset 21:15 on preceding day
Moon transit 15:54
Moonrise 10:56 on following day
Carpooling is strongly recommended. Parking in the park is free. But there is a National Park fee per vehicle of $20 (valid for a week).
Q&A about nightphotography:
If you want to do star trails and haven't done it yet you may want to read up on that, http://blog.starcircleacademy.com/?s=startrail
There are also plenty other blogs/articles about that on the Internet.