READ the event description before signing up!
Also read these pages if you haven't done so already since you joined the group:
This event is about:
Take pictures of Sunset, Milky Way, Startrails at a scenic location in Ansel Adams Wilderness. This is a two nights backpacking event with camping in wilderness on Labor Day weekend.
For this event is very strenuous hiking required at elevation above 10000ft! Hiking total for 3 days 18-23miles and elevation gain/climb of 4000+ft.
Before starting any training to be selected for this event please contact the wilderness office and ask them if permits are still available as it shows up now as reserved!
- meet in the morning on Saturday August 31st in Mammoth Lakes (ready with backpack packed)
- hike to 1000 Island Lake = 6.5miles with around 3200ft elevation gain
- exploring the area, looking for shooting locations and setup tent
- Sunday September 1st we decide on which area to continue and explore for the day where to setup for the night, options are Garnet Lake, Waugh Lake, Gem Lake
- hiking on Sunday can vary from 4-8miles depending on where we go, elevation gain will be less than 1000ft
- on Monday morning we hike straight back with planed arrival early afternoon
You'll receive a more detailed itinerary after you have been selected.
Event RSVP/waitinglist, attendance, limit etc:
The waiting list at this event is to allow people to show interest and to select the people that meet the requirements. There will be NO lottery. The first 3 people who meet the requirements will be selected and set to going.
People with the most recent no-shows or who have proved troublesome to deal with will get the lowest priority at the selection process.
- Event limited to: 4 people (incl. event host)
If you change to a "NO" status less than 3 days prior to the event you are counted as a No-Show. I'm tracking no Shows for this event. Guests are not permitted.
Requirements that need to be met to be selected!:
- Answer all questions that are asked when signing up on waiting list
- You need to have done a backpacking trip
- You need to have completed before August 12th a hike of at least 5miles at elevation above 8000ft and elevation gain of at least 1000ft with backpack (packed with content/weight you will have at the backpacking trip); suggestions for Yosemite: Cathedral Lakes (upper Lake), Sunrise Lakes (upper lake), Elizabeth Lake .... more here
- need to know your plan what you'll do to stay fit for the trip
Get required wilderness permit (after you have been selected):
Select as permit type Overnight and entry date August 31st. For permit issuing station select Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center and NOT the Mono Basin Center.
- Wilderness permit: $5/person + $6 reservation fee (to be paid directly on recreation.gov)
- Bear canister: can be rented in Yosemite for $5/week or other places that rent approved bear canisters
Accommodation suggestions before/after event:
Read here: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/24787782
required(after you've been selected):
- purchase the wilderness permit within 2 days and email receipt as proof to me
- complete Emergency Contact Form and return it to the event host
- complete a Waiver of Liability and return it to the event host
- camera with wide angle lens (with effective focal length of 24mm or less) + standard zoom lens
- for taking Milky Way pictures you need a camera that handles ISO 2000 well (or acceptable for you)
- 1-2 spare charged camera batteries or battery grip or external power source
- sturdy/solid tripod where nothing wiggles or is lose
- for taking star trails you need an intervalometer which can be one integrated in the camera (max 30s shutter speed) or external intervalometer
- red light! (or flash light that can be switched to red light) + spare battery and/or spare light
- comfy and warm hiking shoes, warm layered clothing, knit hat, light gloves, heavy socks : from day to night temperatures will drop up to 45°F
- water at least 64 fl oz
- water purifier
- enough food for 3days
- camping gear (tent, sleeping bag...)
recommended to bring:
- insect repellent, itch relief
- 2nd camera with wide angle lens (if you want to take startrails and Milky Way pictures at the same time)
- mat/pad to sit or knee on
- extra socks
- energy drink if you need it ...
More suggestions and tips about backpacking here: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/25829452
Sunrise: 6:28am Sunset: 7:24pm
Moonrise September 1st/2nd (illumination 18%/10%): 2:57am/3:53am
Civil 6:00am 7:52pm
Nautical: 5:28am 8:23pm
Astron': 4:55am 8:56pm
Milky Way: visible from around 8:30pm
Driving time from East Bay to Mommoth Lakes area around 5hours.
Carpooling is strongly recommended. There is a National Park fee (to get through Yosemite) per vehicle of $20 (valid for a week).
Q&A about nightphotography:
If you want to do star trails and haven't done it yet you may want to read up on that, http://blog.starcircleacademy.com/?s=startrail
There are also plenty other blogs/articles about that on the Internet.