May 5, 2012 · 9:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Star trails, Mountains lit up by moonlight, MoonBow and whatever you want to take a picture of in Yosemite (MilkyWay won't be visible).This is a one night event.
Event RSVP, attendance and limit:
A lottery has been held. If someone changes status from YEs to No the spot will be filled with one from the waiting list until Wednesday when the RSVP closes.
Prior No Shows are excluded from selection
We are tracking no Shows for this event. Guests are not permitted.
If you change to a "NO" status less than 3 days prior to the event you are counted as a No-Show. (i.e. after May 2nd , 8:30 PM)
Meetingpoint on Saturday May 5th around 9:00pm:
Long parking area with view at El Capitan (when you enter the valley you drive straight and not turn right to Bridalveil, from this intersection it is around 1500ft).
+ various hotels/motels/lodges in Buck meadows and Groveland on Hwy120 several miles before entering the park (use google maps and/or other hotel finders)
What you need:
- DSLR with wide angle lens of focal length 24-50mm, lower than 24mm could be a plus. Of course you can bring your other lenses but wide angle is a must
- 1-2 spare charged camera batteries
- sturdy/solid tripod where nothing wiggles or is lose
- remote/cable release for long exposures (or something to keep the shutter open for more than 30s)
- for taking star trails you need an intervalometer
- flash light with charged batteries
- red light! (or flash light that can be switched to red light)
- comfy and warm shoes, warm layered clothing, knit hat, light gloves
- If you do star trails pointing North, they'll usually take at least a couple hours, so think of something you want to do in the meantime and need to bring
Sunrise: 5:58am Sunset: 7:52pm
Moonset: 5:23am (Illumination 100%) Moonrise: 7:51pm Moonset(Sunday): 6:11am
Civil 5:29am 8:21pm
Nautical: 4:54am 8:56pm
Astron': 4:17am 9:31pm
Carpooling strongly recommended
Parking in the park is free. But there is a National Park fee per vehicle of $20 (valid for a week).
Q&A about night photography: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/8314753
If you want to do star trails and haven't done it yet you may want to read up on that, there are plenty of blogs etc. about that on the Internet.
I'll be in Yosemite the night before (get there at Friday night and do some shooting). If someone wants to join me on Friday let me know.