READ the event description before signing up!
Also read these pages if you haven't done so already since you joined the group:
This event is about:
Take pictures of Sunset, Milky Way, Startrails at a scenic location in Yosemite.This is a one night event with camping. Hiking to shooting location is required, up to 2.5miles (one way) with elevation gain of 800ft. This is also high elevation, above 9000ft!
Event RSVP/waitinglist, lottery, attendance, limit, costs etc:
The waitinglist and lottery is to give everyone that signs up for this event a fair chance to be selected and able to attend because space is limited and this is a special event.
This event is limited to 8. A lottery was held on Thursday May 30th. Everyone on the waiting list will be in the pool for the lottery. People with the most recent no-shows or who have proved troublesome to deal with will get the lowest priority at the selection process.
There will be a cost of $7 (incl. PayPal fees) per person to cover the costs of the permit (the area is wilderness and night access/camping is only allowed with permit). There are no additional fees for camping and no camping reservation required for that night.
This fee needs to be paid by the attendee within 2 days after RSVP has been changed to Yes (you'll get a notification with payment information). Refunds (minus PayPal fee) when you cancel only when your spot can be filled by someone else! No refunds otherwise even when trail is inaccessible. It is at the hosts discretion and permit availability to reschedule the event in case the event had to be cancelled.
If you change to a "NO" status less than 3 days prior to the event you are counted as a No-Show. I'm tracking no Shows for this event. Guests are not permitted.
Accommodation suggestions before/after event:
With the wilderness permit everyone in the group is authorized to stay at the backpackers campground one night before and after the event if you want to (White Wolf, North pines, Tuolumne Meadows, Hetch Hetchy).
For the backpackers campground is no reservation required and won't be full.
It costs $5 per person and night to be paid in cash at the campground. Rangers may ask for the wilderness permit number (I'll give you that number after you paid the wilderness permit fee).
Other suggestions, read here:
required (after you've been selected):
- do a preparation hike before the event of equal or more length and elevation gain with all equipment you'll carry at the event
- complete Emergency Contact Form and return it to the event
- complete a Waiver of Liability and return it to the event host
- camera with wide angle lens (with effective focal length of 24mm or less) + standard (zoom) lens
- for taking Milky Way pictures you need a camera that handles ISO 2000 well (or acceptable for you)
- 1-2 spare charged camera batteries or battery grip or external power source
- sturdy/solid tripod where nothing wiggles or is lose
- for taking star trails you need an intervalometer which can be one integrated in the camera (max 30s shutter speed) or external intervalometer
- red light! (or flash light that can be switched to red light) + spare battery and/or spare light
- comfy and warm hiking boots, warm layered clothing, knit hat, light gloves, heavy socks : from day to night temperatures will drop up to 45°F
- water at least 32 fl oz
- camping gear (tent, sleeping bag ... )
- more about backpacking and what to pack here, although this is not a full/far away backpack trip: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/25829452
recommended to bring:
- insect repellent, itch relief
- 2nd camera with wide angle lens (if you want to take startrails and Milky Way pictures at the same time)
- mat/pad to sit or knee on
- extra socks
- energy drink if you need it ...
Sunrise: 5:39am Sunset: 8:23pm
Moonrise (Sunday, illumination 60%): 12:36am
Civil 5:07am 8:55pm
Nautical: 4:28am 9:34pm
Astron': 3:44am 10:18pm
Milky Way: visible from around 10pm until around 1am
- at 9350ft elevation
- has backpacker campground, drinking water and restroom (no charge)
- time required to hike back from lake to trailhead around 45min
Carpooling strongly recommended
Parking in the park is free. But there is a National Park fee per vehicle of $20 (valid for a week).
Q&A about night photography: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/messages/boards/thread/8314753
If you want to do star trails and haven't done it yet you may want to read up on that, http://blog.starcircleacademy.com/?s=startrail there are also plenty other blogs/articles about that on the Internet.