addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Night Photography Message Board Active Discussions › Status of National Parks

Status of National Parks

Eric H.
user 7994813
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 277
This question was forwarded from a meetup.

Hi all anyone knows what is the status of the national parks right now? From what I know they are still closed due to the federal strike
Eric H.
user 7994813
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 278
The parks are closed, the roads through the parks are open, no stopping on the roads.

Yoesemite 120, 140, and 41 are open through the park but the valley is closed

http://www.sfgate.com...­

Devils Post-pile is closed.

Steven C.
NightSkyGuy
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1,016
I saw somewhere that there was a proposal to close BLM land (e.g. Alabama Hills). Though I'm not sure how they'd manage that!
Enrico
user 13025968
Fremont, CA
Post #: 198
As of last weekend when I was there most places in Eastern Sierra were open incl. Mono Lake, Alabama Hills, Bristlecone Pines and even the rest rooms there were open but they are not maintained (BYOTP). No idea if there will be any change this week, didn't see any signs about closures or what happens when the Gov shutdown continues for a long time.

And as you already stated Yosemite is open for through traffic only, Rangers are paroling the roads and can cite you.
Joolz H.
user 11625350
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 29
One thing I read said there was a lag in some closures and even if something was open one day, it might be closed the next. They suggested checking w/ local places that might be likely to know current status.
Enrico
user 13025968
Fremont, CA
Post #: 200
The place where I was (Mono Lake, Bristlecone Pines, Bishop Creek, Convict Lake...) were open on Saturday/Sunday (October 5th/6th) and the restrooms were mostly open and all of them had a sign saying that they are not maintained because of government shutdown. I heard on Friday that Mono Lake (South Tufas) were closed but when I went there that day and the next morning they were open. Without someone actually going there and checking (every day) you cannot rely on information posted by someone (even by me) because there is no official information available anywhere and if the Forest service one day decides to just close it then it is closed there are no warnings or information posted online before/after it.

My observation that everything was open doesn't not mean it will remain open as long as the shutdown lasts. But it gives us hope that the places remain open ....
David J. G.
user 43483562
Carmel Valley, CA
Post #: 1
This past weekend (Oct 4-8th) I was in the Eastern Sierra - part of Yosemite Valley was open for a drive through, Tioga Pass Rd (Hwy 120, and 140) is open as others have said. Mono Lake is a State Reserve and is open, although the Visitor Center is not. All Forest Service/National Park campgrounds are closed as are the toilets in Yosemite, Lee Vining canyon campgrounds, and BIshop Creek area. Lakes and reservoirs in Bishop area were very low. Falls colors were good up South Lake Rd, okay at Convict Lake and Rock Creek and June Lake Loop.