The word "Non-duality" is often used to describe the ancient Indian tradition of Advaita. It refers to the essential wholeness of life. It is present in the immediacy of direct experience, moment by moment. It is this... and this... and this...
What happens at an Advaita Non-Duality meeting?
"On the simplest level, these meetings are a chance to sit together, as friends, sharing this message of total freedom. They are an opportunity to deeply explore present experience together, not with the aim of fixing it, but of seeing the wholeness inherent within it. The meetings are not about getting something or somewhere in the future, they are not about seeking or indulging our personal stories - they are about seeing what's here right now, and finding the deeper sense of 'okayness' inherent in what's actually happening.
"You recognize that all ideas about yourself come and go.
You think you're unenlightened, you think you are enlightened. Okay.
You think you know nothing, you think you know everything. Okay.
You think you're a seeker, you think you're a teacher. Okay.
All these ideas float by, like leaves in the wind, like clouds in the sky.
What remains?" --Jeff Foster, www.lifewithoutacentre.com/
Some of the topics we address in these meetings are--
- What do words such as consciousness, awareness, presence, Being, aliveness, really point to?
- Who am I, beyond the ideas or image of myself?
- What is at the root of my suffering and seeking? Why do I search for love, happiness, freedom and enlightenment in the future? Is there an end to seeking?
- What is spiritual awakening? Is it possible to 'become awakened'? Who awakens?
- How do spiritual awakening and enlightenment relate to addiction, to relationships, to physical pain, to therapy, to the search for love?
- What is the role of spiritual practice? Is a spiritual teacher necessary? What is a guru? Who is an authority on life? What is meditation? Who meditates?
- From a nondual 'perspective', what meaning have concepts such as evil, sin, guilt, and forgiveness?
Join the group to receive email notices about upcoming meetings in the NY-NJ area. Some of these teachers include:
NOTE: These events were not necessarily sponsored by this Meetup group. The purpose of the "group" is to maintain a centralized calendar with upcoming NY-NJ events.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|About ADVAITA NON-DUALITY Meetings in the New York Metro Area||July 13, 2012 2:04 PM||Hersh|