Writers Who Mean Business (TM) Message Board › Accountability -- Why You Should Join One of Our Two Working Groups

Accountability -- Why You Should Join One of Our Two Working Groups

A former member
Post #: 2
Accountability -- Why You Should Join One of Our Two Working Groups
By Michelle Gamble-Risley, CEO, 3L Publishing (www.3LPublishing.com)

Are you one of those writers who has been working on that novel or non-fiction book for "years"? I hear this common story: I have been writing this book for five years. Now I don't expect any writer to be as prolific as the next one, but as a publisher who believes in the "business" of writing, I have to ask, "Is that practical if you want to succeed?" Think about it. How much money can you possibly make on your book that took you five years to write? The real question is, "Why?" Do you start, stop, start, stop? Do you find you feel blocked?

The solution is simple: you need accountability. You need a way or group or person to hold you accountable to your writing goals. Accountability is like that teacher who gives you a due date for your paper so you can get a grade. It's that extra push for you to sit down and get it done. I suggest writers find an accountability partner -- another writer who needs that extra push. Whoever you chose as an accountability partner must be willing to do what the word suggests: hold you accountable. You can't work with someone who will back off and accept your excuses. The point is to get it done with some push.

In this case, I decided my "give back" this year would be to offer two working groups: one for fiction; one for non-fiction. I wanted to reach out more to this group and give my time to our writing community to help those writers who need some push. Now I wish I could extend the offer to the entire 600 or so members, but I cannot. Working "Accountability" Groups take time. We have to have enough time in the evening to discuss each person's manuscript and progress. I limited each group to five (5) writers, and it will be first-to-come, first-to-serve. So come early or don't come at all because the groups will close at five writers (non-negotiable). We will post information on the Meet-Up Board shortly.

We will begin meeting once a month. The first meeting we will set goals and expectations. The working groups will go for a six-month duration, and I will require a full commitment from members. A full commitment means you attend every meeting and bring your A-game or manuscript progress -- no excuses. Realize your seat means someone else was not able to participate, and that someone else might have willingly attended.

The end result for each group will be fully completed books that have been skillfully critiqued by the members and myself. And I have no problem getting uppity with writers who don't do the work. I will indeed hold you accountable, so don't join if you intend to use "the-dog-ate-my-homework" excuses. I'll give you the Milk Bone Award and send you home. I can be a real "meanie" so be warned if you join. I do promise those who faithfully attend will be rewarded accordingly with an excellent valuable final product, a great book.

Watch the Meet-Up Board for details to join. If you would like to hire me as your "meanie" book coach and use private accountability, please send an email to info@3LPublishing.com or call 916-300-8012.