***Pt. Reyes Hike and Oysters****
Tomales Point Hike and Picnic at Drakes Bay Oyster.
This open trail through the Tule Elk Reserve offers spectacular views of Tomales Bay, Bodega Bay, and the Pacific Ocean. It is also a prime wildlife viewing trail, as it is remote and the tule elk are enclosed in this reserve. The first 5 kilometers (3 mi.) to Lower Pierce Point Ranch are well marked and maintained, but the last stretch can be overgrown with bush lupine and other shrubs, so long pants and long sleeves are a good idea. The journey all the way to the Point is worth it, for the view is unparalleled. Fog and wind can limit visibility and make this hike more challenging. The Tomales Point Trailhead is at the end of Pierce Point Road, 40 minute driving time from Bear Valley.. We’ll cap off the hike with a fun social picnic with delicious world renowned at Drakes Bay Oysters.
The hike should be no more than 4 hours long, we’d like to be on the way to the oyster farm by 2:30pm - the picnic area at Hog Island is very limited and fills up fast. This is a very easy hike, a stroll in the park if you will, so it may be suitable for hardcore hikers but join us anyways for Oysters and fun! If you’d like to join us for the Picnic portion of the event, you’re more than welcome. Driving directions are below.
Bring water, lunch, and extra layers of clothing. The weather changes constantly at Point Reyes so please be prepared. BYOB and/or wine and bring your own sauces for oysters!
Tip: Follow signs for “Lighthouse” until you see a sign for “Tomales Bay State Park and Pierce Point Road.” Turn right and follow Pierce Point Road until you see a sign for your destination.
Directions to Tomales Point Trailhead, Pierce Point Ranch, and McClures Beach
Allow 35 minutes for the drive from the Bear Valley Visitor Center.
- From the Bear Valley Visitor Center, head north 0.2 miles (0.3 km) to Bear Valley Road.
- Turn left and follow Bear Valley Road 1.75 miles (2.8 km) northwest to Sir Francis Drake Boulevard.
- Turn left and follow Sir Francis Drake Boulevard 5.6 miles (9 km) northwest to Pierce Point Road. Tip: Follow road signs for “Lighthouse” until you see a sign for Pierce Point Ranch.
- Turn right and follow Pierce Point Road 9 miles (14.4 km) north to the Pierce Point Ranch parking lot. To get to the McClures Beach parking lot, turn left and descend the hill 100 yards (90 meters) to the west. We will be meeting here at 9:30am before the hike.
Directions To Drakes Bay Oysters
17171 Sir Francis Drake Blvd
Inverness, CA 94937
Or Choose From These Directions...
From San Francisco
- Take Highway 101 north across the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Go 8.5 miles to the Sir Francis Drake Boulevard exit.
- Head west on Sir Francis Drake Boulevard toward Olema (22.8 miiles), until you reach Highway 1.
- Turn right onto Highway 1 North, and go two miles.
- Turn left onto Sir Francis Drake Boulevard (before crossing the green bridge).
- Go 9.5 miles until you see our "Drakes Bay Oyster Farm" sign on the left.
- Follow Highway 37 West for 18 miles to 101 North.
- Take 101 North for 2.8 miles to the San Marin Dr. exit.
- Turn left on San Marin Dr. for 2.8 miles to Novato Blvd.
- Turn right on Novato Blvd. and follow for 6.3 miles.
- Turn left at Point Reyes-Petaluma Rd. and go for 9.9 miles.
- Turn left at Highway 1 (heading South) and go .8 mile.
- Turn right onto Sir Francis Drake Boulevard (just after crossing a green bridge)
- Go 9.5 miles on Sir Francis Drake and look for our “Drakes Bay Oyster Farm” sign on the left
From Santa Rosa
- Take 101 South and take the East Washington exit in Petaluma, go west for .6 miles.
- Turn left onto Lakeville and go .1 mile.
- Turn right onto “D” Street (becomes Point Reyes- Petaluma Rd.) and go for 18 miles until you reach Highway 1.
- Turn left (heading South) onto Highway 1 and go .8 mile.
- Take a right onto Sir Francis Drake Blvd. (just after crossing a green bridge).
- Go 9.5 miles on Sir Francis Drake and look for our “Drakes Bay Oyster Farm” sign on the left.
If you are willing to drive, please state in RSVP how many you can take. Carpoolers please watch the bottom of this post to see what carpool you're in. Drivers, please also watch this post and flag any necessary adjustments that need to be made to your carpool.
We will meet at 7:15am on the dot, we leave at 7:30am sharp! If you're coming from the Bay area and want to hike, meet us at the Bear Valley Visitor center, directions here: http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm
If you plan on carpooling, have $20 cash and bring cash for oysters... Please try and have the exact change!
• Patti's +1
• Julio's +1
• S.K.'s + 1
Wendy (Will not attend oysters, going to wine tasting instead)
Driving to the Hike
- Michelle W
- Michelle W's +1
Waiting for Carpool