North Jersey Python/Django Developers Group Message Board › Django v1.5 - is it ready for use?

Django v1.5 - is it ready for use?

Dwight I.
user 7403806
Lebanon, NJ
Post #: 2
Django v1.5 was released at the end of February and contains several changes that break backward compatibility. I'm just starting with Django so one of my first steps was to work through a tutorial. Unfortunately the tutorial was based on Django v1.3 and the function-based generic views it used are no longer available in Django v1.5. I also ran into a moderately annoying timezone issue that was new with v1.4, and that incented me to move to v1.5 (where I found out about the bigger issue of class based generic views).
Since I'm beginning on a new project, there is a tension in the decision between using the older version of Django, where I can find more help and compatible code, and moving to the latest version with new features and the longest code lifespan.
I will be integrating available modules for things like forums, blogs, and shopping carts and am concerned about their compatibility with the latest version of Django. Django South is also a module I intend to use.
Anyone have any recommendations for which version of Django I should go with?

Chris C.
ccurvey
West Orange, NJ
Post #: 11
that's a good question. I'm working through the 2 Scoops of Django book (and trying some other things at the same time), and I'm finding that a fair number of packages have not been ported to Django 1.5 yet. (there are other things that break compatibility, like requiring quotes in the {% url "path.to.my.view" %} tag within templates.

I guess my recommendation would be to build your system with Django 1.4, and keep a printout of the backward-incompatible changes posted over your monitor (so you don't use those "features"). I know the package authors are working on getting their packages ported now, and it should go pretty quickly.