I'm Sarah, I live in the High Barnet Area and love walking and trekking. I have done a lot of the walks around Barnet and would love to do them with a group to meet new people and chat and explore together.
We're a friendly walking group based in Barnet, North London. Our events are generally non-profit making and are run by volunteers. Our membership fees contribute towards the running of the group.
Our activities - Each year we organise:
• About 20 walking weekends away from London throughout the year, staying mainly in YHA accommodation or similar, all over England and Wales with the occasional trip abroad.
• About 20 day walks on Saturdays or Sundays throughout the year and occasional half day walks. These are usually in Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire or Essex. For most walks we offer car sharing from Barnet to travel to the start of the walk (passengers pay their driver a contribution towards the transport cost).
• About 20 weekday evening walks, from April until early September. These are usually in north London or south Hertfordshire.
• About 50 social evenings on Tuesdays at Discovery Hall in East Barnet, from 8-10pm, followed by an optional visit to a local pub.
That's anout 110 events each year! You can participate in as many or as few as you like, it's entirely up to you.
We set a limit to numbers on Meetup to avoid having too many on a walk. On most day walks or evening walks, between 10 and 20 people attend, or occasionally up to about 25 on a popular walk. These include those who RSVP through Meetup and some annual members.
On YHA weekends away we normally have 8 - 12 or occasionally 15 - 18 on a popular weekend.
Anyone can join our Meetup group free of charge, then after you have attended your first event, you have THREE MONTHS when you can attend any of our day walks, weekends away and Tuesday evening social meetings free of charge (apart from any transport cost or accommodation cost).
After that, you need to apply for annual membership if you wish to take part in further walks or other Group activities. You can continue to come on walks and attend Tuesday evening socials while your membership application is pending.
Membership costs £36 for a whole year from 1st November to 31st October. If you join part way through the Group’s year, you pay £3 for each complete month up to 31st October. Membership costs are halved for members under 18 or other concessions (see membership application from for details).
Membership application forms are available online (see below).
Advantages of annual membership:
• Our group is affiliated to YHA (England & Wales) Ltd. Where accommodation is operated by YHA (England and Wales), our members on Group weekends can stay at YHA members' prices without the need for individual membership of YHA (or another HI/IYHF association). We can normally get a further 15% discount on YHA accommodation or sometimes we can get B&B for little more than the normal price of bed only. These discounts or benefits are typically worth about £5 per night compared to the cost of booking yourself in at the YHA non-members' price. This means that if you go on three Group weekends in a year (e.g. two 2-day weekends and one 3-day bank holiday weekend) these savings could cover nearly all the cost of your annual membership of North London Outdoor Group.
• Annual members alse receive a YHA Affiliated Group individual discount code. This gives you a discount (currently 15%) on your own personal bookings at accommodation operated by YHA (England and Wales) and also a discount when purchasing individual annual membership of YHA England and Wales.
• A Group email list where members can send an email to all other members about walks, weekends away or other events that they are organising such as cinema visits or meals out.
• An 8 - 12 page monthly newsletter called 'Footprint'. Printed copies are available at our Tuesday evening meetings and it is also available online (see below).