North Suburban Adventures in Volunteering Message Board meetup-group-VtTwasBo Discussion Forum › Just 1.5 hours could make a huge difference

Just 1.5 hours could make a huge difference

Tina W.
user 72174872
Chicago, IL
Adventures in Volunteering has grown to over 100 members in just a few short months.  I am proud and enthusiastic regarding the possibilities of this socially poignant endeavor.  I myself recently became a volunteer CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate), which I love.  Besides my full-time work it is an additional 8 hours per week.  My uptake as a CASA caused some lapse for Adventures in Volunteering.
I can tell you that each AV event takes about 1.5 hours per week to facilitate.  Yet, when I put feelers out to the whole group for anyone willing to facilitate just one event I got no response.  That was really sad.  As people signed up they professed both time and ideas, but when I needed help no one rose to the occasion.
Please, step up and create an event.  If just 5 people each organize one event that would be 5 events in August.  It’s really very easy.  The important thing to remember is that this is also a social group.  So it’s important to think of events that can be done as a group.  Maybe you know of a non-profit organization that could use a group of volunteers to knock off a project on a Saturday, or serve an evening meal, organize donations, etc.
Let me know what you have in mind and I’ll gratefully add you as an organizer.  Please, help me to keep this good thing growing. You’ll feel good about it, I promise.
Sincerely,
Tina Wexler
A former member
Post #: 336
Hi Tina,
I just saw this post after I put a few events on the calendar. I am happy to see that some of these have gotten a volunteer response already!

There is an event that was posted, that can be done on your own time, and is a simple way to give back. See the Got Books drive. Anyone can do it and there are drop off locations everywhere!

I have the opportunity to work with a wonderful organization, Red Rover Responders, and an even cooler lady, Judy. We have an event that needs a location. Preferably Palatine, Prospect Heights, Arlington Heights area, or near. Sunday's only.
Is Your Dog Cool? Make It Take It. Any location suggestions would be great!