align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

North Texas Drone User Group Message Board › NTDUG SAR Challenge I - Final Prep

NTDUG SAR Challenge I - Final Prep

Chad F.
arcdragon
Group Organizer
Garland, TX
To all contestants/spectators/volunteers,
This week marks the final count down to our first ever Search and Rescue Challenge.   I would like to congratulate all that has even dared to enter no matter how it turns out at the event.  The fact that you were ready enough to sign up speaks volumes!
As for the weather, it is looking like 16 mph winds with a 30% chance of rain/snow/sleet.  This is Texas y'all, no telling how it will play out.  Rain or winds of 25 mph or more WILL CANCEL THE EVENT.  Winds at 20 mph or less will be the Team's call.  15 mph is usually the upper end of small UAS, it will be up to you.
Here is the schedule:

• Thursday night:  Location Release, do NOT travel to the site.
  • Friday night: I set up the field.
  • Saturday:  All volunteers and Contest Directors arrive at 8:00 AM
  • Saturday:  All contestants/spectators arrive at 9:00 AM for a 9:30 AM start
  • Contest is expected to last 4-6 hours.
  • 9 teams as of today, one more possible.
  • Do not take your equipment out of your vehicle on arrival.
  • Sign the wavier and fill out the Flight Plan form, give it to Chad Frazer.
  • We will fly in groups of 3.
  • Two multi rotors and one fixed wing in the air at a time.
  • Pre Flight hour will be staggered for each group at one hour intervals.
  • First group starts at 9:30 AM.
  • De conflicting must occur as the FIRST OBJECTIVE.  Learn how to change the NET ID on your telemetry radio!

UAS Academy is flying down from Virginia and is offering to place a small camera on your aircraft for research purposes.  They very much want to know how you will use your drone and how effective your technique is.  That is up to you and I highly encourage it.  You get a copy of all the data collected by UAS Academy.
After the competition it is a regular Fly In.  Group Lunch/Dinner can occur, be ready for it!
MEDIA:  Watch what you say to the media as NTDUG will not allow membership to those that fly drones in a reckless or dangerous manner.  If you need guidelines on how to fly safely please visit our files section and read our SOP&G (Standard Operating Procedures and Guidelines).  We do not wish to become the drone police, but we also don't want anyone getting hurt either, so be safe and have fun!  Oh yeah, and watch what you say around the media as it can turn up in print for everyone to read forever and ever!!
Chad.