North Texas Outdoors Message Board › Interest in hiking Mt. Blanca around July 31-Aug 6

Interest in hiking Mt. Blanca around July 31-Aug 6

Tanna D.
user 6952576
Dallas, TX
Post #: 80
Gauging interest in hiking the 14er Mt. Blanca in Colorado. I have July 31- Aug 6 off work, but need to be back in Dallas by evening of Aug 6. Do not need to be there that entire week, can be a shorter trip, just time frame I have open. Was thinking of driving (carpool). Really need someone with better GPS skills than I.

http://www.14ers.com/...­

tanna
A former member
Post #: 65
Tom T. mentioned wanting to do that again this year. You might send it out over the mailing list too?
Tanna D.
user 6952576
Dallas, TX
Post #: 81
Will do, thanks John
A former member
Post #: 1
I would love to do this. I can go the week before or the week after, but that we I have a doc out of town and I have to cover for her. Any chance to shift?
Tanna D.
user 6952576
Dallas, TX
Post #: 82
Hi there,

No chance sorry, this is the only week I have. My daughter is flying out of town that week and I have already scheduled that week off work, which is a major undertaking in itself. That is not to say someone else can't schedule something, just not me.
JR
user 14130444
Plano, TX
Post #: 1
Sounds like fun, I happen to be off the 30th - the 4th right now, but I think I will be right in the middle of a 7 week class, so I don't know for certain yet.
Tanna D.
user 6952576
Dallas, TX
Post #: 83
Yeah, that would be tough with a class JR, we're looking at around 5 days probably, 2 driving and 3 in Colorado, something like that anyway
Tom
user 3468459
Newnan, GA
Post #: 45
I didn't get up to Ellingwood Point last year so I do have a reason to go back. It was pretty country. Sangre de Cristos. I would like to go, but can't because I only have one unscheduled day of vacation left until Oct. 1st.

Navigation wasn't bad. I just had the Trails Illustrated Map and the scale of it is not very detailed. The four wheel drive road goes all the way to Blue Lakes. The foot trail starts there and doesn't hit the class 2 scree slopes until after Crater Lake (there may have been a small one just before Crater Lake - it's hard to remember all the details). There were little markers to help you find your way up slopes, although this seems the only spot where route finding is needed. Once you attain the ridge, it's obvious how to get to the peak.

There were lots of people four wheeling up to Lake Como, so I would camp just past Lake Como if it's available. Some people were camped I believe at Blue Lakes. Seems like that may be a little high in case of storms.

Anyway, Tanna, that's my two cents and I hope that you get to go!
Tanna D.
user 6952576
Dallas, TX
Post #: 84
Thank you Tom, that helps a lot actually.
Tanna D.
user 6952576
Dallas, TX
Post #: 85
So how difficult is the drive to Como? I'm not into 4 x 4ing