North Texas Outdoors Message Board › Interest in hiking Mt. Blanca around July 31-Aug 6

Interest in hiking Mt. Blanca around July 31-Aug 6

A former member
Post #: 66
The only way to drive to Lake Como is by 4x4. It's one of the most difficult 4WD roads in Colorado. In a small sedan you must park where you can and hike up the road several miles, may as much as 6 miles in. Even in a AWD car, you will have to park and walk the road. It will take one entire day to hike to Lake Como (uphill).

So how difficult is the drive to Como? I'm not into 4 x 4ing

A former member
Post #: 17
I may be interested in this trip. I'm looking for a short trip to take during our hot Summer months. I camped at the Sand Dunes as a kid. Would be fun to get back. Just need to check to see if I can get off work.
A former member
Post #: 18
No luck in getting off work. Tanna, I'd be happy to let you borrow my Garmin GPSmap 60CS if you'd like. Our dept. geared up with Dallas Fire Dept. and was involved with Texas Task Force 2 (USAR) for a short while. I had a full week of Technical Search classes that involved GPS and compass skills. Navigating by GPS isn't all that difficult once you get the hang of settings and format. I could give you a crash course if you'd like. One tool that has become popular and very useful is the personal EPIRB (you are probably aware of this). One push of a button sends your exact location via GPS to a satellite that alerts local search and rescue teams of your need for help. Might mean the difference between life or death. But....be ready to pay for the mission! Anyway, sounds like a good trip. One of these days I'll actually get to go!
Tanna D.
user 6952576
Dallas, TX
Post #: 86
Philip, how nice of you to offer. I just might take you up on that. Colorado actually has a type of insurance program for rescues, it's only a few dollars for a COSAR card that protects you against the cost of a rescue. All on the trip will be required to get one. Sorry you can't make it. :(

tanna