addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

North Texas Outdoors Message Board › Multi-Day Backpack Question

Multi-Day Backpack Question

Brad
Brad321
Dallas, TX
Post #: 5

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get on here and see if anyone could give me some direction as to the type of pack to get or things that multi-day backpack must have. I've normally camped out of my Jeep but have been wanting to get into hiking/camping so I need to purchase a pack. Any suggestion anyone?
A former member
Post #: 6
Buy a pack that fits you. Packs are individual like clothing so what works for your buddy may not work for you. An internal frame provides support for what you are carrying and provides stability. Internal frames also move with you. I recommend a pack with a cummerbund belt so your hips help support the weight if this is comfortable for you.

Go to the sporting goods store when you have plenty of time to try packs on and walk around with them. Pack them with your bag and tent etc if you have already purchased them or borrow these items from other departments and pack the backpack. Packing the backpack will show you its capabilities and limitations. Walk up and down the stairs and on ramps if they are available to check the bag in conditions similar to what you will find on trail. The store personnel will completely understand what you are doing! You need to carry the bag weighted at around 35 pounds since that is what you can reasonably expect to carry on trail.

Aside from comfort chose features that appeal to you and how you like to organize yourself and your gear. My pack is a front loader because I like having access to all the items in my pack with out unpacking. Some people prefer a top loader. My pack has one main compartment with a small additional pocket on top and another on front so it would be lighter than a pack with many pockets and zippers and compartments.

REI rents backpacks. It is not a bad idea to rent a pack before you buy it or rent a few different types if you aren't sure what features you need. I believe they apply the rental fee (or part of it) toward the purchase of the pack.

Of course borrowing a pack from someone or buying a used pack can be a good short term solution until you are sure what you want in a backpack.

Hope that is helpful,
Dana
Brad
Brad321
Dallas, TX

Dana-

Thank you very much for the helpful information. My plan is to go to BPS this weekend and try some out.
Scott
user 6041018
Group Organizer
Irving, TX
Hello Brad, On pack size a 65 liter is a good all around size for multi season backpacking. If you only backpack in warmer temps a 50 liter pack is perfect. The colder the temps the more you need to carry.
Brad
Brad321
Dallas, TX
Post #: 7
Scott-

It's defiantly been awhile since I bought a backpack....$500 dollars for a backpack? Don't get me wrong...I don't typically go cheap but that is just crazy. I've picked out a couple that I plan to go look at this weekend. Here they are. What do you guys think?

Mountainsmith Men's All-Terrain Backpack

Cabela's Diamond Peak™ Shasta Internal-Frame Backpack
Tanna D.
user 6952576
Dallas, TX
Post #: 94
500 seems high. I've spent half that for one not on sale (Osprey 45L at REI) , and about 100 bucks on REI Outlet for an REI brand 50L pack. I've been very happy with both. Shop around unless you have money to burn. Kelty makes nice packs also.
Scott
user 6041018
Group Organizer
Irving, TX
Bass Pro Shops carry a Jansport Big Bear 82 Liter for just over 100.00. It's a great pack with lots of features and roomy. I had the 80 liter or 5000 ci version. They also have some value priced North Face packs as well.
Jeff
user 13635483
Fort Worth, TX
Rei will also measure you for a pack.( You can always buy wherever you choose. )You could order the online ones that are on sale, which they will ship to the store for free. They have sandbags to weight the pack, so you can see what it feels like. It’s good to read the reviews. I like my pack, but the reviews indicate the plastic buckles are prone to breaking, which one did. REI warrants the packs and replaced the pack for free. They did also offer to let me exchange for a different one as well. You should also consider the packs weight. Generally less cost more.

Brad
Brad321
Dallas, TX
Post #: 8
Thank you for all the information everybody!! My plan is to purchase something this weekend and get ready for some FALL camping.
Tanna- Thanks for the tip on the REI outlet. They do in fact have some very good deals.
Brad
Brad321
Dallas, TX
Post #: 9
If a pack says that it fits 31-50 waist and I'm a 30 does anyone think that will really matter? I am in my mid 30's so let's be real....I'm getting rounder not skinnier wink

Here is the pack. Millet Khumbu 55+10 Pack