North Texas Outdoors Message Board › caving at Carlsbad National Park, NM

caving at Carlsbad National Park, NM

Rachel
user 26384962
Denton, TX
Post #: 1
Hi!

A friend and myself want to go wild caving at Carlsbad Caverns National Park. In order to this, we need at least 3 people so we need one more person to join us. I am hoping to also do some of the guided adventure cave tours. We need to get the wild caving permit early so we need to find someone soon. I am a teacher and am free to go sometime during my spring break which is March 9-17 so anytime within that time frame would work for me. Please let me know if interested. (Wild cave permit is $50 per group so it will cost $17/person. Guided tours are 4 hours long and $20/person.) Two of the possible wild caves have a vertical drop you have to rappel down. After or Before Carlsbad, there is the option to go backpacking at Guadalupe Mountains National park! Let me know if interested! -Rachel
Michael S.
user 74350772
Odessa, TX
Post #: 1
Rachel,

I would be interested along with possibly my stepdaughter. We went to the main cave back in September and have been wanting to go to Slaughter Cave and Spider Cave. I have researched some of the other caves, but have not pursued it too far as I don't know anything about rappelling yet. I do know that some of the caves are closed due to white nose syndrome with the mexican free tail bats. I think I printed out a page that had all the backcountry caves listed and which were open and closed.
On a side note, you can backpack at Carlsbad as well. I went last week on the 27th. Hiked Yucca Canyon almost to Double Canyon. Saw about a 1/2" of snow that night, several mule deer, and a heard of barbary sheep climbing the canyon wall.
Let me know if you are interested.
Michael