North Texas Outdoors Message Board › Esbit cube & GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Cup

Esbit cube & GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Cup

Tiffany S
user 24938112
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 4
I'm looking at the Esbit Pocket Stove or the Esbit Titanium Folding Stove or the Vargo Triad Stove. I use a GSI Minimalist Cup which is a little bit under 4" diameter. The videos I have seen show the flames shooting up and around smaller cups.

Is that normal to have huge flames and does anyone use an Esbit cube stove with the GSI Minimalist cup.
Jeff
user 13635483
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 11
I use an Esbit pocket stove with the lightest alum pot I can find. Use it simply to boil my water. The cubes leave a residue, so you probably don’t want to use it on your drinking cup. They are hard to light in the wind, so I bring a good lighter and a piece of alum foil for a wind shield. It is so light, that overall it saves a lb over my gas stove set up. I think titanium is way over rated. Alum is actually lighter and much cheaper.
A former member
Post #: 85
The GSI minimalist is likely anodized aluminum. Yes, solid fuel tablets (hexamine) will leave gunk on the cup bottom so know that. Some will put a bit of liquid soap on the cup bottom prior to cooking and say it makes it easier to immediately wipe off with sand/dirt. Because it is a mostly uncontrolled flame, the flames can rise up a little (not huge really) around smaller diameter pots/cups, but that is no reason not to try it. I have used it only with a Fritos bean dip can (less than 4 in. diameter) for freezer bag cooking. Esbit brand is more expensive than Bleuet solid fuel (AGS Brands, same stuff but pink) found at Academy Sports.

I'm looking at the Esbit Pocket Stove...I use a GSI Minimalist Cup...The videos I have seen show the flames shooting up and around smaller cups...Is that normal to have huge flames and does anyone use an Esbit cube stove with the GSI Minimalist cup.

Tiffany S
user 24938112
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 5
Thanks for the info about the Bleuet solid fuel.

Yes, the GSI "Halulite" is just a fancy word for anodized aluminum that doesn't stick. I like being able to heat my coffee water in that cup because with a hot cup my coffee will stay hot while I pack up camp...but, I'll have to think about having all that gunk on the inside of my neoprene cup cozy.

I'm currently using a MSI Whisperlite universal (overkill but it's for our family bug-out bag) which works great when I'm cooking for everyone in my family, but I want to hike parts of the Colorado trail in July and I've got to get my gear weight down and move into a smaller cubic inch pack.

I will probably buy the Esbit pocket stove because at $10 if I don't like it then I can give it to my son :) But, I think the Vargo Triad is soooo cool since you can flip it over and use it as a so-so alcohol stove.