North Texas Outdoors Message Board › Wrangell-St. Elias National Park Backpack Trip Sept 4th-12th 2010

Wrangell-St. Elias National Park Backpack Trip Sept 4th-12th 2010

Johnny H.
user 10485579
Richardson, TX
Post #: 7
A Barrett is a bit heavy John....I'm just saying! LOL

On another note, bought a Garmin 60CSx yesterday but plan on returning it this evening. Was less then impressed.

All told, once topo maps are added along with the device etc, its a bit pricey beyond its worth in my opinion....I might as well wait and purchase a new state of the art Delorme PN-60 that comes with Delormes award winning Topo 9 software. So, thats my plan.

When it comes to crampons and boot fit, it truly depends on the heal and toe cap area on whether or not crampons work with your footwear. :) Most current designs have gone well beyond simply the heel and toe contact points allowing a much broader range of fit and footwear well beyond alpine boots.

For example, see below...cheapest I have seen for 10 points.

Black Diamond Contact Strap Crampon
http://www.backcountr...­

Personally, I'm a fan of Petzl Crampons so will go for either the 10 or 12 point....backcountry has a pretty wide selection.

Al D.
user 11536362
Waxahachie, TX
Post #: 1
Thanks for the tip on the Backcountry.com sale.
I just bought the BD Stainless Contact crampons for $110.46 and they also had the Bearvault on sale for $59.99.
Free shipping and no sales tax. Such a deal!
Tom
user 3468459
Newnan, GA
Post #: 36
It's only 2 maps: USGS McCarthy and USGS Valdez. The guide book lists sectors and I was counting those earlier.
Tom
user 3468459
Newnan, GA
Post #: 37
Crampons also need mountaineering boots , you wont be able to keep them stable on softer hiking boots ,
Mountaineering boots are not necessary - the type of crampon for walking only - no climbing (see the links for crampons that Johnny posted) are just fine on hiking boots. Actually, the guide that took me and a friend onto Root Glacier in 2008 said that TENNIS SHOES would work with this type of crampons!
butch
b.utch
McKinney, TX
Post #: 6
It's only 2 maps: USGS McCarthy and USGS Valdez. The guide book lists sectors and I was counting those earlier.

Those two maps are at 1:250k (1in = 4 mi) scale. They're not much of an improvement to the nat geo which is at 1:350k (1in = 6mi). The seven maps are at 1:63k (1in = 1mi).
Johnny H.
user 10485579
Richardson, TX
Post #: 9
Gaitors...

REI presently has their entire Outdoor Research line of gaitors on sale, 30% off FYI.

Melissa bought a pair and I picked up a pair of the alpine Outdoor Research Men's Crocodiles®.
Tom
user 3468459
Newnan, GA
Post #: 38
Your right, Butch. I guess I should actually check the USGS site before assuming anything.

A former member
Post #: 53
The Care and Feeding of Your Bear Canister

www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/heal­th/canistercare.doc
Johnny H.
user 10485579
Richardson, TX
Post #: 13
Thanks John, meant to comment earlier when reading this. :) Just printed it out for Melissa.

BEAR SPRAY
Keep in mind, you will either have to buy bear spray there on arrival in Alaska (HUGE REI there)....or you can mail it to the hotel where Kevin, Melissa and I are staying. You can't fly with it. :P