North Texas Skeptics Message Board › DFWCoR Leader Meeting Minutes
The organizers of the coalition we are part of met today to discuss our organization's plans for the coming year and plan our spring and summer activities. Attached are the minutes. Thanks to Zach for taking such great minutes.
February 26, 2011
• Reader's Choice Award
• Tom Flynn Speech at Westside UU
• Spring Picnic
• Other Social Gathering? Activities? Speakers?
• Marketing Campaign 2011
• Building Momentum in the Community
• New Officers
• Schedule for April Meeting?
• Vaccination Drive
• Terry McDonald, chair
• Greg Cox
• Laura Cox
• Jamye Johnston
• Larry McHam
• Zachary Moore
• Libba Murphey
• The Fort Worth bus advertisement was a clear success... could it be used by other
• Model releases are only valid within the state of Texas; could be provided to other
Texas groups for free if they want to run it.
• If further redesign is necessary (new photographs, etc), there would need to be
compensation for Greg and Lauraʼs efforts.
• Jamye voiced concern that the founder of the North Texas Skeptics does not want
them affiliated with a “atheist” or “religious” organization.
• The DFWCoR is not explicitly atheistic or religious, should not be an obvious
• Tom Flynn will be speaking at the Westside UU church on April 15, all in DFWCoR are
encouraged to recruit as many attendees as possible.
• Last yearʼs DFWCoR Spring Picnic was held at Cedar Hill State Park
• All who attended felt that it was a success
• Interest in renting a pavilion for DFWCoR
• Target dates in early May, Zach will take lead in organizing.
• Camping and hiking trip to coincide with Picnic at Cedar Hill, Greg to organize.
• The Freethinkers of UTA have a new President, Chris Bryant.
• Potential partnership opportunities exist between local secular and student groups.
• Ashley Parramore from the Secular Student Alliance is coming to DFW in March,
will be speaking to the North Texas Skeptics and the Fellowship of Freethought in
• The Metroplex Atheists will be participating again in the Arlington 4th of July parade
• All in DFWCoR are welcome to join.
• Jamye will be attending the Save our Texas Schools Rally in March, in Austin.
• Suggestion to organize some additional DFWCoR events such as field trips to art,
• Freethinkers of Fort Worth are frequent patrons of museums in Fort Worth, ask for
• Suggestion to re-form softball team, no resolution.
• New marketing efforts for 2011
• Zach suggested a strategy similar to the local "I Am Second" campaign.
• Will soon assemble core team for concept brainstorming (Greg, Laura, Jamye,
Terry, Scott Hurst, David Jennings, Liberal Media Productions)
• May need to plan for 2012 launch.
• New Officers: Zach will be taking over as Coordinator April 1, will need Assistant
• Next DFWCoR meeting to be held in April, TBD.
• Ideas for building momentum in the community:
• Forming DFWCoR Speakers' Bureau for media and local groups.
• Conducting census of DFWCoR members.
• Gaining regular access to local media venues
• newspaper panel discussion, columns, television, radio
• Vaccination Drive:
• North Texas Skeptics will lead organization.
• Dallas supports mobile clinics but cannot promote.
• DFWCoR can help in promoting events.
• Need to find a location where kids are unvaccinated.
• Jamye will get details on how DFWCoR can practically assist.
• Tarrant County Food Bank:
• DFWCoR can send volunteers to work on weekend afternoon.
• Local Christian groups can send volunteers as well.
• Opportunity for continued media interest with atheists and Christians working
• School Prayer:
• Kyev Tatum led prayers at a “Black History Month” program at a public school in
• Entire program had religious content.
• Program occurred after regular school hours, but some students (band, chorus)
were compelled to attend.
• Jamye suggested the most effective action is a personal letter from a parent
with the implicit threat of legal action.
• Promote Tom Flynn Event (All DFWCoR)
• Planning of Spring Picnic/Camping Trip (Zach/Greg)
• Promote 4th of July Parade (All DFWCoR)
• 2011 Marketing Team (Zach/Greg)
• Solicit New Assistant Directors (Zach)
• Vaccination Drive (Jamye)
• Food Bank Volunteering (Zach)
• School Prayer (Greg/Laura)