Northeast Florida Preparedness Message Board Trading post.....Barter/Freecycle/Wanted/For Sale › Plastic & Metal 55 Gallon Drums

Plastic & Metal 55 Gallon Drums

Robinsons
user 13536525
Group Organizer
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 28
Found this on Craig's List. Went by today and he has really nice barrels.

http://jacksonville.c...­

I have both Plastic and metal 55 gallon drums for ONLY $20 each !!!! These drums have many uses such as Rain Barrels, Composting, Barrel Racing, Fuel Storage, Dry Goods Storage, Shipping Containers, Extra Sturdy Garbage Cans, Burn Barrels, BBQ Smokers, Floating Docks, etc Delivery available if needed.

904 955 3829 - Anthony
A former member
Post #: 2,477
Thanks for sharing this with everyone.
A former member
Post #: 1
Found this on Craig's List. Went by today and he has really nice barrels.

http://jacksonville.c...­

I have both Plastic and metal 55 gallon drums for ONLY $20 each !!!! These drums have many uses such as Rain Barrels, Composting, Barrel Racing, Fuel Storage, Dry Goods Storage, Shipping Containers, Extra Sturdy Garbage Cans, Burn Barrels, BBQ Smokers, Floating Docks, etc Delivery available if needed.

904 955 3829 - Anthony

Wow I was just looking at that same add on Craigslist yesterday!!!! I was wondering if the metal barrels had been repainted or not and if they are food grade...are they?

Onegreenguy
A former member
Post #: 52
Great, the Agriculture extension in St Johns County had some of the blue plastic ones for 40.00 for rain barrel classes- included the spout. So this seems like a great deal. Did anyone buy any? Do the metal ones have lids as well?
Judy
Robinsons
user 13536525
Group Organizer
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 29

The metal drum I bought had juice boxes in it that were in plastic bags. It has not been repainted as it does not need it. The drum is very clean and in very good condition. He also has food grade plastic drums. He was out of lids for the metal containers, but will be bringing them this weekend. We have put spouts on some plastic drums and they make very nice rain barrels to catch water from our roof.

The metal drums are great to store livestock feed or grain, rice and legumes!
A former member
Post #: 58
For St Augustine - St Johns county area:
We were given a referral too Tocol Feed Mill 6400 CR 214 St Augustine, FL 32092
from the St Johns County Extension. They carry the food grade barrels as well for $20.00.
904-829-8484

They also carry feed and hay.
The prices were pretty good too.

Baron K.
vonkamp
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Post #: 1
Thanks for the post, we picked up 6 barrels last weekend. smile
Mike A.
user 10143498
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 13
I bought some plastic barrels from this guy a year or so ago. Good stuff. Just be careful. Some are food grade and some held some really nasty cleaners. Just be sure what you ask for.
James (Bill) & Bin...
user 14241192
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Post #: 5
We are looking for some fuel barrels
three to four of them would work for what we need.
A former member
Post #: 3,486
I'm ready to get more serious about getting a water filter for the house. I'm pretty pumped about placing 2 rain barrels in the back of my house (inspired by Floridas_son's much more sophisticated project). The hole on top of the 55 gallon drum was enlarged to fit a pool filter basket and it was also fitted with a spicket that I can connect a hose to. The gravity pressurizes the water through the hose. I've been using the water for newly planted banana, mango and avocado trees.

The 110 gallon capacity of the two barrels would provide 27 days of water if my family of 4 only consumes 1 gallon each a day. The barrels have each filled up 5 times in the past week and a half with all of the rain we have been having. Bowregard advised me to get an over flow set up. I may have to take his advice.

I got the concrete 4 concrete slabs from the business just to the south of my gun shop. The city of Pompano had cited them for not having enough green space, so they had to remove the slabs. I have 2 other rain gutter drops in the front of the house that I suppose I could use if I needed additional water. I chose not to install more rain barrels in front of the house because they are not only unattractive to look at, they could attract unwanted visitors one day.