Northern Manhattan Outside Message Board › Pelham Bay Park - Orchard Beach - Info

Pelham Bay Park - Orchard Beach - Info

Peter
user 3281068
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hi All,

so there are a few scattered thunderstorms predicted for Sunday morning, but all predictions I see say it will be sunny and hot by 12:30 - 1pm.  So, if it's raining when you get up on Sunday - check the weather forecast - the day is supposed to turn out nice!

What to bring -  Dress for the day - sunny and hot - hat and sunscreen, water and snacks.

BRING BUG SPRAY. There will be mosquitoes. I'd suggest DEET (I have 100% for myself...) but no matter what, bring some kind of bug spray. Now, these are Bronx mosquitoes. The kind that laugh at natural 'skin so soft' types of bug spray. You have been warned.   :)

We will be in the woods, mostly on old paved trails or dirt paths. There might be some broken glass and moreso rocks, I'd suggest against open sandals, light hiking boots, even just running shoes/ sneakers are fine.

TRAVEL - you have a few options on where to meet the group before the hike starts - at each stop look for me in my orange hat

Metrocard - have either an unlimited metrocard or one with at least $9 on it.

Inwood- 10:15 - 10:30AM

- meet in front of the Piper's Kilt (Broadway, just north of 207th) at 10:15AM to 10:30am. We will catch the 10:50am BX12 Select bus, so make sure you are at Piper's Kilt by 10:40AM AT THE LATEST.

Travel time to Pelham Bay is 40 to 50 minutes, depending on traffic and construction on Fordham Rd/Pelham Parkway.

(If you miss the group at 10:50, there is another bus at 10:57 - you'll get to Pelham Bay 8 minutes later, but I can't guarantee the group will still be there - please plan on meeting no later than 10:40 in Inwood)

Pelham Bay - 11:30AM

Travel to Pelham Bay train station (last stop on the 6) and meet the group in front of the CVS on Bruckner Blvd. Please plan on being at CVS at 11:30AM. Expected travel time for the Inwood group on the BX12 Select bus is 40 minutes - The group should arrive at 11:30AM. BUT - unforeseen traffic/construction might delay us, so please wait past 11:30AM.

From CVS we will cross Bruckner Blvd. to the far side and catch either the BX12 or BX5 local bus into Orchard Beach (this should be a free transfer on your metrocard, but have a little extra on the card just in case).

Orchard Beach - 11:55AM

If driving to Orchard Beach, please plan on meeting the group at 11:55AM.  This is an educated guess, I can't say for exact certain what time the group will get there with all the variables and the long travel, so please arrive at 11:55AM and expect to possibly wait for us for a little bit. Look for a group led by me in my orange hat.

I think the parking fee is $8.

From the main parking lot, as you walk toward the beach, you'll see the large bathing pavilion building in front of you.  In between the two buildings there are stairs leading up to a plaza. Meet the group at the bottom of the stairs.

Again, it will be hot - bring extra water, a hat, sunscreen and bug spray.

Please update your RSVP if you cannot make it on Sunday, so I'll know who to look for (and who not to look for :)   )

Thanks!

Peter