NORTHERN NEW JERSEY PUG EXTRAVAGANZA! Message Board › Karen needs advice for her little Maisie; can you help?

Karen needs advice for her little Maisie; can you help?

Ellen
pugsRme
Group Organizer
Ramsey, NJ
Hi All,

Please read Karen's email (below), and write to her directly at karen07823@yahoo.com­, if you can offer her any advise or assistance regarding Maisie's condition. This message will also be posted on the NNJPE message board, if you prefer to make your comments there.

Thanks!

Ellen

Maisie will be 5 in March. In December, I noticed blood in her urine. The day after she was done with her antibiotics, there was blood again. So, back to the vet. The vet did an ultrasound to guide in a needle to get a clean sample for culture, and gave me a different course of antibiotics. The ultrasound showed a mass on her bladder. The hope was that this mass was blood clots, and the antibiotics would take care of her. The culture came back negative for any bacteria, and the second ultrasound shows the mass to still be there. I have been given the names of 2 oncology vets- one in Red Bank and one in Allentown, Pa. At this point, I will probably consult with them about how to proceed without biopsies, operations, or chemo. The mass looks just like TCC, and reading I have done warns that invasive techniques can spread the cells. I was hoping you could send this out to your members so I can get other stories about this, maybe advise on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Karen M.

Marcia C.
user 74474622
Goshen, NY
Post #: 1
Dear Karen, So sorry to hear about Maisie. My pug, Nala had an abdominal tumor (lymphoma) when she was 2 years old. I took her to my local vet and was referred to Oradell Animal Hospital. They did do surgery, to not only see what it was, but to remove it because it was large. The tumor was wrapped around the liver and inferior vena cava and weighed one pound. I opted not to give her chemo treatments, but instead to bring her home to be comfortable, was told she had 4-6 weeks left. I cried and cried. Well that was 8 years ago and I will be bringing her to the meet up in February. She's now 10 and plays with her toys everyday!
When doing surgery on a possible malignant tumor, sometimes the worry is "seeding" of tumor cells, where they are disturbed and break away. But if they get the tumor out and some cells escape they are much easier for the body to destroy than a large tumor.
I opted for no chemo only as a preference, I am an oncology RN and seen the worst of the worst (and the best of the best). Didn't want Nala to go through that.
I know I haven't offered advice, but our experience going through something similar. Best of luck Marcia
Maisie, Sadie and ...
MaisieandKaren
Ramsey, NJ
Post #: 24
Marcia- Thanks for the input, also for the fact that a body can deal with stray cells. Maisie has been eating FreshPet chicken for 4 of her five years, and gets Nutro Holistic Weight Management for her dry food. She is healthy and well-exercised, so I would think her immune system is strong. We have an appointment with a surgeon next Thursday for consultation. We have no idea how much these surgeries may cost; what was the cost of Nala's? I like my vet- they were very fast at getting Maisie back in and doing the ultrasound when I told them the blood was back. Reading I've done says that often, the cancer has spread due to misdiagnosis, and repeated antibiotics. Her ultrasound shows a bladder about one inch by one inch, with the tumor being able to be covered by my putting my pinkie over it. The other reading showed chemo gets a dog with bladder cancer an additional 9 months, which I think is not long enough, and not fair to the dog. Hopefully, I'll have my own amazing story some day, like yours. I live out in Warren County, and stopped coming to the Meet-Ups when gas became so high. Maybe this Spring, I'll join in again. Thanks, Karen
Marcia C.
user 74474622
Goshen, NY
Post #: 2
Hi Karen, Nala's surgery was around $3000 8 years ago. I had to take a "medical loan" at the vet hospital. I think that if the diagnosis is put off for a long time, like months, the tumor would have a chance to possibly spread, but if done in a timely fashion, not a problem. Sounds like the vet prescribed the antibiotics at first, he/she was taking a conservative route which is good. Now he/she has to start to rule out other things. Opting for chemo is a personal choice, as I said before, I didn't. Keep me updated, Marcia
Maisie, Sadie and ...
MaisieandKaren
Ramsey, NJ
Post #: 25
I'm happy to announce that Maisie has bleeding polyps in her bladder. The surgery will cost between $1800-2200 and take a two night stay at the vets. We will be doing this when the weather gets warmer as she will need to be walked often while the bladder heals. He said they are quite common in Pugs, with as many as 1 in 20 developing them. If anybody has repeated blood in their Pug's urine, have an ultrasound done. If they are not removed, they interfere with urine moving from the kidneys, eventually causing kidney failure. Once they are removed, they do not reoccur.
Marcia C.
user 74474622
Goshen, NY
Post #: 3
That's good news, although sorry she has to go through surgery. I would imagine she should walk a lot to prevent clots from forming after the surgery, also she should probably drink as much as she can (or will). Best of luck! Marcia Keep us updated.