NORTHERN NEW JERSEY PUG EXTRAVAGANZA! Message Board › How often do you bathe your Pug?

How often do you bathe your Pug?

Ellen
pugsRme
Group Organizer
Ramsey, NJ
Post #: 1,208
I have heard that bathing your Pug too often will dry his or her skin out, but how often is often enough? What are your thoughts?
Carolyn
user 17087841
Suffern, NY
Post #: 19
In the winter time I bathe Roxy once per month. During the summer months I bathe Roxy every two weeks depending on how active she is outside.
Denise
LoveMyRocco
Valhalla, NY
Post #: 2,990
Oh oh, I must have Stinky pugs. Like 4 times per year. But I really do not let them get dirty outside. And I clean faces and paws daily.
Ellen
pugsRme
Group Organizer
Ramsey, NJ
Post #: 1,209
Wow, Carolyn!

You are putting both Denise and I to shame, as I too, do not bathe my dogs that often. I have a dry shampoo that I will also use in between their baths as well.
Jaime B.
user 50252082
Ramsey, NJ
Post #: 1
Lily gets groomed at the groomer twice a year. She has very thick black hair (she's double-coated), so I get her shaved at the start of the summer to keep her cool. Her hair grows back a little thicker, but the color stays black and she's just as soft. Then she'll get groomed in the winter around Christmas, so she's extra clean for the holidays. Beyond that, I bathe her whenever she gets a little stinky. Because she's black, it's easy to see her dry skin. To help with the dry skin, I shampoo her with an anti-dandruff shampoo like Selsun Blue (which was recommended by my vet). I do not use baby shampoo because it can dry her skin out. I do also use "black dog" shampoo because it helps retain her color. Some shampoos can strip the hair color a little (hence, why people have shampoo for blonds, brunettes ....)
Ellen
pugsRme
Group Organizer
Ramsey, NJ
Post #: 1,210
Selsun Blue? I have never heard about using it to bathe a dog, but if your vet says it's fine and it keeps the dry skin at bay, it sounds as if it could be something I might try.

As far as "Black Dog Shampoo"; I didn't know they even made anything like that...awesome!