addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Northern Westchester Backyard Gardeners Meetup Group Message Board Northern Westchester Backyard Gardeners Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Does anyone else feel that we need Victory gardens?

Does anyone else feel that we need Victory gardens?

Pauline Panagiotou...
user 12164827
Katonah, NY
Post #: 1
I spent much of this spring and summer learning about growing Edible Forest gardens, going to seminars and workshops on it and applying those lessons to my own garden. I feel that with the drought in the mid West we will be facing a food shortage crisis, unprecedented in recent American history. We are already seeing prices rising for those staples most affected by the drought, corn, wheat, soy beans, and those higher prices will affect the poor in our nation. This drought is thought to last ten years. The Great Depression drought lasted seven.
One of the ways hunger and all-out famine were avoided in the UK during WWII was by encouraging Victory Gardens. During the Great Depression there were posters here advocating raising chickens, one-two per child in the family for the eggs. Today we have towns IN THE COUNTRYSIDE that forbid raising chickens... To me that kind of arrogance is a sign of the disconnect between the cause and effect of nature and human behavior, and a lack of connecting to nature.
Even with all the planting and growing I've done of perennial foods that are more able to withstand drastic weather fluctuations than annuals, I don't see how we would be able to feed ourselves unless everyone else were also growing their own food AND there were local farms in each township growing important staples, starches and proteins.
Has anyone else been thinking about this?