Wachusett Sunset Hike Every Wednesday

This hike will start before sunset and end in full darkness each week. Start time will be adjusted weekly to allow us to be on the summit for sunset.

All hikers are required to bring a light to attend. Hikes will be 2-3 miles. Hikes occur rain or shine. All attendees should wear proper clothing and be prepared for unexpected weather conditions. I'd recommend a minimum of 1 liter of water.

Guests are allowed and encouraged. This is a moderate hike. People of all skill levels attend. We stop at each intersection to allow hikers of all speeds to catch up and rest as needed.

Dogs are allowed on this hike. Mine attends each week. The park requires animals be leashed and are picked up after. The enforcement of this is rather lax. I ask you simply be respectful of other hikers, don't leave a mess on the trail and keep your dog under control.

The starting points from this point forward will be announced in the comments each week. It will be one of three places. Ski Area, State Park, or Administration Rd.


Directions:

Administration Rd starting point: Follow Mountain Rd. about a mile past the Visitors Center/Auto Rd. to Westminster Rd. Westminster Rd. will be on your right, just after the Fernside B&B (Yellow building on your left)
Continue down Westminster Rd. about 3/8 mile, Trail head on your right at the bottom of Administration Rd.

State Park: The State park entrance is on Mountain Rd between the ski area and Westminster Rd. The sign is clearly visible from the road. DO NOT park in the visitors center parking lot, they close those gates before we'd complete our hikes. Parking is available in the lower lot, that gate is left open 24/7

Ski area: The ski area is off mountain Rd. Multiple signs lead the way. We'll be meeting in the main lot, parking against the woods on the unpaved section of the lot. The trail head for Balance Rock Trail is signed and is the starting point.

Any comments, questions, concerns or complaints can be directed at me. Russell Vigliotti [masked]

Join or login to comment.

  • A former member
    A former member

    What is the start time for this hike? You mentioned an earlier start......

    June 11

    • Steve

      We need to get better at exchanging cell numbers (discretely) so we can stay in touch. Even if just Russell is the point of contact. Sorry Kath!

      1 · June 11

    • Bonnie G.

      Agreed. Even if with only the leader of the hike. I called Russ (thinking that he was leading this hike) on.y to find out that he had a previous commitment. Oy.

      June 12

  • Pauline

    Thank you Bonnie! Made it to the gas station.

    2 · June 11

    • Susan Bonci D.

      Great to hear you were safe and didn't need AAA. Thanks Kim for the escort.

      June 12

    • Pauline

      Huge thanks to Kim for the escort! I was in all the back roads. Pretty cool. Wish I could recall it!!

      June 12

  • Susan Bonci D.

    Foul weather missed again

    June 12

  • Erin B.

    Can't wait until next week!

    June 11

  • Russell

    Sorry I missed this hike and for any of the related confusion it caused. I would have love to have made it. It was my kind of weather. Thanks Susan for taking the reigns. I'll see you all next week.

    June 11

  • Bonnie G.

    Never found Taylor Road. :( Sorry that I couldn't make it. I was looking forward to it.

    June 11

  • Pauline

    Is it going to rain?

    June 11

    • Kim

      30 percent chance of showers. Looked at another way, 70 percent chance it won't rain.

      June 11

  • Gregory W.

    probably will be a little late

    June 11

  • RobC13

    I assume that we hike rain or shine?

    June 11

  • Kate R.

    I can't make it tonight. I know what it looks like, Steve, but I swear I am not avoiding you! ;) Sorry to miss the longer hike. I hope you have a great time and nice colors up top. See you next week!

    June 11

    • Kim

      Bummer! We'll miss you Kate!

      June 11

  • Pauline

    Hi Gail,

    Text me 508.641.7845. I was unable to reply to you ...

    June 10

  • Russell

    This weeks hike will be a bit longer than usual, 4.6 miles. We will be starting at Administration Rd. The route will be Stagecoach to Harrington to West Rd to West Side Trail to Old Indian.

    For those of you that can't make the earlier start time we will be going by the parking for the West Side Trailhead. If you continue down Westminster Rd, take a right onto Taylor Rd which turns into West Princeton Rd. Parking for West Side Trail is on the left. We will be there by 7:15.

    1 · June 9

    • Kim

      ...or if your GPS takes coordinates,[masked], [masked]

      June 10

    • RobC13

      Thanks Kim

      June 10

  • Joshua C.

    Hi there, I'd like to attend this hike. I can get there but my ride will be tied up that evening, so if anyone could get me back to Ashburnham that would be great. Will provide gas money.

    June 6

    • Kim

      Sorry, wrong way for me.

      June 9

    • Steve

      Can that polar bear carry 2 people?

      1 · June 9

  • Susan Bonci D.

    Sounds great, thanks Russell

    June 9

13 went

Our Sponsors

Sometimes the best Meetup Group is the one you start

Get started Learn more
Katie

I'm surprised by the level of growth I've seen since becoming an organizer, it's given me more confidence in my abilities.

Katie, started NYC ICO

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy