North Shore Permaculture Group Message Board › Keeping Northshore Permaculture Alive!

Keeping Northshore Permaculture Alive!

Elizabeth
sucrame2001
Group Organizer
Newburyport, MA
Post #: 71
Hello All -
I am very interested in keeping this group alive and am willing to become the Meetup organizer, and if others want to step-up to be part of that, great!

One thing you may not be aware of is that there is a fee to be a meetup group, which runs about $12 a month. I am happy to contribute to that cost, but hope others would be willing to step forward and contribute as well. Some meetup groups include a small charge/donation at each meetup event to help support the platform.

Thoughts?

Elizabeth Marcus
John P.
user 14525588
Dover, NH
Post #: 33
Hi Elizabeth!

I have been very involved in the Seacoast group up in New Hampshire, the work they do to put on good meaningful, and relevant meetups is nothing short of amazing. That said I think there is need for something south of the Seacoast. For me, though I work in Salem, I would tend to go to stuff in the Boston area. I am not sure if the Seacoast folks or the Boston folks would be likely or willing to absorb this group which has not been as active as it could be since I joined last year...

I didn't know about the fee, but it makes sense. I appreciate you stepping up Elizabeth, I just wouldn't want that burden to fall on you only...

-John
Devon
mouseydew
Gloucester, MA
Post #: 72
I'm interested in trying to see if we can rekindle attendance and offerings and then reassess in a year or two's time. Maybe initially ask all for a minimum $1 membership fee. If short the year's fees, organizers can cover rest? If more, put in an account for future speaker fees?
Amy A
AmyA44
Barrington, NH
Post #: 706
Hi folks,
This is Amy, main organizer of the Seacoast NH permaculture meetup. I really hope that you all can keep this one going! I think there should be more of these meetups, not fewer, and you all have already done some great groundwork in getting this up and running and building a membership over the years. It would be such a shame to lose that!
I'm pleased to hear that Elizabeth is interested in organizing. I wanted to offer to her and others who might be on such a team (it is a lot of work for just one person) - every winter the NH permaculture meetups have been getting together to discuss what is working, what challenges we are having, etc. You all would be welcome to join in on this. So far, we have worked things out such that the organizer dues have always been covered by class fees, never by just one person or the organizers. Our philosophy has been that the folks putting in the volunteer work should not also have to put in money to keep it going!
Anyway - this is a super-busy time of year when I can't offer more than this, but I would be happy to offer ideas, support, mentoring this winter.
I hope that might help!
Amy
Elizabeth
sucrame2001
Group Organizer
Newburyport, MA
Post #: 72
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Since it's hard to rally folks to organize, discuss and make thoughtful decisions at this time of year, I am going to go ahead and renew this meetup group for the next six months. I appreciate Amy's offer to assist with lessons learned from the Seacoast NH group, which has created such amazing energy and offerings in that region. I have benefitted from some of their program myself. I agree that we need more, not fewer, of these groups going forward.

Let's continue discussing here how to proceed and I will send out a message to the group members inviting them to this discussion. Perhaps we can plan to call a face-to-face meeting in the fall and take Amy up on her offer to attend the New Hampshire gathering in the winter.

Julie Z.
user 30243292
West Newbury, MA
Post #: 2
Hi Elizabeth:

I'd be glad to help with the work of keeping this group together. I'd really like to see it continue. I think a face to face meeting is a good idea.

~Julie
lee l.
user 13126023
Beverly, MA
Post #: 28
Thank you so much for stepping in, Elizabeth and Julie. I will reply to the thread for a meeting date and plan to make that meeting. I would not mind paying a $5 membership fee per year, and using extra in the kitty to fund events. Or paying for some events.
Iris W.
HerbIris
Wenham, MA
Post #: 93
So glad to see the response and that Elizabeth and Julie are willing to put some time in. Thanks! I don't know if I have the energy to help with the organization, but I would love to be part of planning meetings. The one in NH also sounds very helpful with figuring out what works and doesn't.

I agree that the money should come from folks benefiting, not the organizers. A yearly fee that covers the meetup fees makes sense. Also maybe having a percentage from some paid meetups.

Michael
user 71633392
Ipswich, MA
Post #: 1
Thank you Elizabeth for your willingness! I have hoped to meet people *doing* permaculture, and imagined that if we ever buy a house, I'd love to have input on an *amazing* design! :-) I am willing to pay $5/yr, maybe more to help get things going. Time is at a premium. Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this group can be.
Boiester
Boiesterest
Amesbury, MA
Post #: 65
Hi,
I have sent Elizabeth half of the six month fee, and plan to work with her to get some great permaculture programs. We have the Greater Newburyport Edible Garden Group as well, which has been meeting monthly for two years. It is hard to get programming and we appreciate hearing from you what you know and can do to increase our skills here. As was mentioned, the Seacoast group has wonderful programs and we do cross post, but that works best for folks who are geographically close. We need your input and involvement!