align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

North Shore Permaculture Collaborative Message Board › Gleaning website

Gleaning website

Boiester
Boiesterest
Amesbury, MA
Post #: 66
Some of you are interested in mapping gleaning locations. This is a great site to add to:

1. Falling Fruit site:
http://fallingfruit.o...­
Falling Fruit is a celebration of the overlooked culinary bounty of our city streets. By quantifying this resource on a map, we hope to facilitate intimate connections between people, food, and the natural organisms growing in our neighborhoods. Not just a free lunch! Foraging in the 21st century is an opportunity for urban exploration, to fight the scourge of stained sidewalks, and to reconnect with the botanical origins of food.

Our map of urban edibles is not the first of its kind, but we aspire to be the most comprehensive, bringing together the maps of foragers from all across the internet. We are also including edible species found in municipal tree inventories - databases of street (and sometimes private) trees used by cities, universities, and other institutions to manage the urban forest. This already amounts to 662 different types of edibles (most, but not all, are plant species) distributed over 587,691 locations. Beyond the cultivated and commonplace to the exotic flavors of foreign plants and the long-forgotten culinary uses of native plants, foraging in your neighborhood is a journey through time and across cultures.

Join us in celebrating the local and edible! The map is open for anyone to edit, the entire database can be downloaded with just one click, and our code is open-source. If you pick more than you can use or are overwhelmed by the bumper crop from your private trees, we encourage you to donate the surplus produce to charity or your neighbors with the help of local food redistribution programs.

2. List of Gleaning targets and location
Russian Olive- Little River Nature Trail
Elderberry- P.I. Turnpike
Cranberries- P.I. Refuge
Raspberries- Clipper City Rail Trail (Alchemical Garden)
Beach Plums- P.I. Refuge and Clipper City Rail Trail
Highbush blueberries- P.I. Airport
Black Walnut- 1st Parish Church
Staghorn Sumac- 1st Parish Church Newbury
Apples- Maudsley State Park, Oakland St. Amesbury, Federal and Water St. Newburyport
Grapes- Lake Gardner Beach Road, Amesbury
Sea Weed- North end of PI
Mulberry- Atkinson Common
Pears??