North Shore Permaculture Collaborative Message Board › Seed and Plant Sharing

Seed and Plant Sharing

A former member
Post #: 13
It's garden planning time and many of us are probably being deluged with catalogs. It's also time to check your stash before spending too much (as I usually do) on new varieties.

I've been growing open-pollinated, heirloom plants for the past few years and have collected an abundance of some seeds that I would like to share. I also have a some plants that need a new garden home.

Some of you seasoned growers may have things to share and those new to gardening might enjoy trying something that has proven to perform well in our region. Let's get together and share the bounty!

I'll post lists of what I have to offer and I ask others to do the same. If you're looking for something ask here too. This could be a good early March Meetup topic.

Sharing my dreams of Spring too...

A former member
Post #: 15
My first list of seeds & plants to share:

Vegetable seeds:
Chives-the kitty mix;
Curly parsley-more cold tolerant than flat leaf and tasty;
Russian red kale-very cold tolerant and prolific;
Arugula-early and late greens;
Cilantro/Coriander; leaves for salad & salsa, seeds are coriander
New Zealand Spinach-not spinach but a good substitute, heat and drought tolerant and tasty;
Daikon Radish-big roots even growing through paving stones!
Salsify(Oyster Root)-Beautiful blue/violet flowers that close by noon. Root and greens tasty!

Calendula-pretty yellow flowers all season and an important medicinal plant
Hyssop-another medicinal with small purple flowers, evergreen but mine is buried under the snow
Arnica montana- another important medicinal, pretty yellow flowers in early Summer
Elecampane-yet another important medicinal, 2 inch sunflower-like blossoms-very cool
New England Aster-late flowering nectary plant with medicanal applications-pretty native plant

Strawberries:ever-bearing that produce heavily in late Spring
Chocolate mint- lots of it
Thyme- (Thymus vulgarus) rooted shoots-needs no introduction
A former member
Post #: 1
What about the tomatoes? Holding back?

- Ed
A former member
Post #: 16
Ed, you do keep me honest.

I have a small offering of "Black Cherry" tomato seeds and maybe a few "Paul Robeson"(Ed's favorite)
I also have a small lot of "Green Zebra" and "Brandywine"

Not finished going through the stash yet, so stay posted...
A former member
Post #: 29
I just found some Jerusalem artichokes that were stashed in a bin last Fall. They are sending out roots and a few will be looking for new homes. They are considered a perennial vegetable. If you have space for a plant that provides a nice root crop, pretty yellow flowers and one time planting you might want to try some.
A former member
Post #: 42
I have a surplus of strawberry plants- both mature and runners. Does someone have a home for some of them?

I also have a lot of blue violets that have to be moved. Very pretty spring bloomers that will grow in sun or shade. Edible and nutritious leaves and flowers that work well as a ground cover around trees.
user 9165318
Rockport, MA
Post #: 4
Hi Charlotte! I'd love some artichokes and some blue violets! Tory
user 9165318
Rockport, MA
Post #: 5
PS. Does anyone have rhubarb to share?
A former member
Post #: 47
Hi Charlotte! I'd love some artichokes and some blue violets! Tory

They're just waiting for you to come and get them!
A former member
Post #: 48
PS. Does anyone have rhubarb to share?

How did I forget them?! I have some very small, year old plants waiting to get their roots in the ground. I'll set a couple aside for you.