add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Northwest Pa. Outdoor Adventure Group Message Board › Best Park to visit in Northwestern PA for weekend trip?

Best Park to visit in Northwestern PA for weekend trip?

user 14014419
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 2

I am a member of the Northeast Ohio Hiking Club (Cleveland, Ohio) and looking to visit one of the parks in northwestern PA for a long weekend to do some hiking, bikeriding, kayaking, etc. I am looking to stay overnight at a nearby hotel, B&B, or Inn nearby (within driving distance) would be important. I will be going on my own and looking for suggestions on the best park to visit or any suggestions on a place to stay (looking for somewhere nice with A/C, microwave/refrig in room, but not looking for an expensive luxury room. Presque Isle seems to be nice but appears more of a resort than park.. I am assuming that is the PA Put-In-Bay/Kelley's Island. I would be fine with that assuming there is good hiking trails (not paved, in the woods).

Thank you,
user 13681542
Group Organizer
Wattsburg, PA
Post #: 4
Hey Lindsey, There are a couple other parks. Asbury woods is nice but for all the things you want to do , Presque Isle is your place. They have alot of different beaches, kayaking, great 15 mile bike path, rental bikes. Places to eat, and Waldamere Park right at the top of the hill. Im not too sure about lodging. There are hotels very close. Ill ask around.
A former member
Post #: 12
Have you considered the Allegheny National Forest? All the things you are looking for are there and I recommend the Warren PA side of the Forest. Kayaking is available on the Allegheny River which includes Kinzua Dam and the Clarion River. Trails are abundant with my favorites being the Tanbark, Hickory Creek and Minister Creek trails. Warren itself is a very nice town with several motels, hotels and B&B's. If you'd like more info on it let me know.
Maureen A
user 24506112
Kennedy, NY
Post #: 189
Hi Lindsey. Robert was on the money about Allegheny National Forest (ANF). Minister Creek Trail is my favorite. Ive heard very good reviews of the nearby Kane Manor B&B. a few weeks ago my friends and I visited Cook's Forest (a wee bit south of ANF). We stayed at TOPHILL Cabins (google them). If you are interested in joining some meetup hiking events you'll see more posted for Western PA. Maureen