Dear amici,Firstly, apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this. Secondly, well done Italia v England in the footy!
Allora... Thanks again to all who contributed to the recent group discussion at Reno’s Restaurant on Sunday 17th June (kindly hosted by Raff and his wife Anna). It was a convivial atmosphere and, after some humorous introductions, many interesting ideas were expressed – mostly in Italian! Here is a summary of some of the main points that came up...
- It was felt that we should keep the twice-monthly pub meet-ups at the Roundhouse, but also allow for greater flexibility in arranging other meet-ups more spontaneously.
- On a related subject, those who wish to have a bit more of a role in helping organize meet-ups through the website should email the group’s Organizer, Edward Sellman: http://www.meetup.com.... Edd can then add you to the list of Assistant Organizers/ Event Organizers etc. You can find more information about the various roles here: http://www.meetup.com...
- It was agreed to revive the voluntary £5 annual membership fee to help maintain the registration payments for the website. Edd currently pays $180 per year for this, so it was felt that a small contribution from active members was fair. I’m happy to collect your contributions – latest by the end of September 2012.
- For those of you interested, Stefano has also set up a Facebook page to run parallel to the meet-up site - here: https://www.facebook..... Just ‘ask to be added’ and the admin team will be happy to do so.
In terms of specific ideas for events, there were plenty of suggestions:
- Rosanna suggested getting together once a month for a Sunday Roast at the Toby Carvery in Wollaton
- Also on Sundays, how about a (bi)monthly cafe’ meet-up downstairs in the Nottingham Contemporary museum? (Careful not to schedule on Sundays when other language groups are present – German, French etc...;-))
- In terms of restaurant meals, Stef would be happy to arrange these in general, although anyone else can also suggest good venues. Rachel suggested having our Christmas meal in January, as everyone has loads of cene e pranzi throughout December – plus it would also be cheaper and easier to book.
- Meal meet-ups in members’ houses was also suggested –as previously, with people bringing a dish each and sharing buffet-style. Giuseppe indicated that he would be happy to invite members for his upcoming house-warming do – or ‘inaugurazione’ (parola del giorno!). Giuseppe has also said that he would be able to accommodate a certain number of people in his flat for other meet-ups.
- Also on the food front, Anna from Reno’s Restaurant has kindly offered to share a few of her pasticceria - pastry-making – secrets (best to do this in small groups). Anna and Raff also have some friends who run a nice tea room in Sawley, near Trent Lock, which could be another good venue for a meet-up.
- Film-wise, as there’s seemingly nothing much of Italian interest on the horizon at the Broadway Cinema, Manuela suggested watching Italian DVDs – of which various members have sizeable collections – either in peoples’ homes using a projector, or perhaps even in one of the film rooms at the University. (See also Andrea’s related proposal: http://www.meetup.com... .)
As for trips/outdoor meet-ups, apart from the Trent Lock tea room idea, the following were also suggested:
- Wollaton Park (thanks to Andrea for already setting this up)
- Newstead Abby
- Chatsworth House
- Rutland Water (Louise suggested a giro in bicicletta)
might be an issue with some of these proposed trips – depending on numbers interested – so when you RSVP, please indicate whether you have a car and how many passengers you can take.
Andrea has also agreed to help co-ordinate any country walks
people might be interested in – although he may need some help with suggested locations. (I’d like to recommend Attenborough Nature Reserve – not just because I happen to live virtually next door!)
Collaborating with other groups connected to Italy/Italian language was also a suggestion that came up in the discussion. On a related theme, Nuala Crow has had an idea that we might be able to act as a kind of conduit for newly-arrived Italians
in the area – perhaps getting available members to show them around a little, with a possible exchange scenario in mind.
Well, amici, thanks for your time – I know it’s a lot of information, but hopefully it’ll be a useful reference for members - new and old...
Now for action!
Edited by Rajiv on Jun 27, 2012 8:39 AM