For the next walk - we will go more local and stay in the county - Starting from Oxton just 8 miles north of the city of Nottingham.
From Oxton we will head south first down a minor road and then onto a footpath which takes us to the quaint village of Epperstone, the training area for Nottinghamshire police. Then following a further path head North and onwards past Norwood Farm, Roswell Wood before reaching a minor road. We now cross the road and head up a track towards Hallam and to Thorne Abbey Farm where we turn into a north west direction and back onto a footpath to we get to Turncroft. At this point we follow the Robin Hood Way past Oxton Grange and wandering up Robin Hood Hill with a view point at the summit and an ancient iron age fort settlement remains. At the summit we will be able to see the footpath that leads back into Oxton and in particular we should be able to see the Old Green Dragon Pub where we can finish with a nice cool drink to finish of this walk.
The area I have worked out for lunch is near a garden centre/nursery where they do have a cafe but I cant guarantee it will be open so please be self sufficient with a packed lunch as usual.
• Oxton (Mentioned in the Domesday book)
• Robin Hood Way
• Robin Hood Hill (Viewpoint)
• Old Settlement - Fort (Oldox Camp)
Finish: 4.00pm (eta)
Distance: 9.98 miles (16.06 Kilometres)
151.25 feet (46.10 metres) at the lowest point
419.95 feet (128.0 metres) at the highest point
As always make sure you are prepared for this walk.
You will need:
• Walking boots are always the ideal footwear of choice - especially as its Winter now, where the ground can be wet and slippery so a good grip and ankle support is essential.
• Suitable clothes, Layers are good, (Jeans aren't recommended as if they get wet they become heavy) lightweight breathable trousers are better, walking trousers or sports wear.
• Waterproofs are essential as it is now Winter
• Hats & gloves - worthwhile to pack just in case
• Snacks, Sweets etc.
• Adequate water or soft drinks
As it's Winter the weather can change so you may need waterproofs but then again it can also still be sunny too so don't forget your sunglasses also useful to bring spare warm clothing such as an extra jumper/jersey and maybe a spare pair of socks.
Sense of humour is essential!!
PLEASE BRING A PACKED LUNCH - we will stop along the route for Lunch, but please be self-sufficient for food/drink for the day before hand.
Please arrive in plenty of time so we can promptly start at 10.00am
(I do have a cut off time that we WILL start walking by so if you arrive late I cant guarantee we will be there still waiting)
When I plan the route beforehand I have to calculate Winter daylight times for the safety of the group and benefit to you all.