Nottingham Sociables Message Board › Board/card game event formats

Board/card game event formats

Charlotte
user 9894975
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 58
I don't think we should worry about events attracting 'older' or 'younger' members. Having a wide variety of events is the key to attracting a wide range of people, which is what we do so well! (Im my opinion at least) :-)
James
nmtoken
Cropwell Bishop, GB
Post #: 16
Hi Andy,

Well I too spent most of my youth playing cards, both at home and at school (it's where I learnt bridge and poker for example), and I guess that the reason why people (of all ages) may not play as many card games these days is that they have other things to keep them interested, or can't find people to play with...

But anyway back on topic, I didn't start this discussion to come up with some single format for a games day that would suit all tastes (of all ages), rather I was looking to tease out a number of formats that would suit some people, and add it to the compendium of events that are put on at Nottingham Sociables.

From the responses received so far (and through personal correspondence) it appears that there is some interest in one or more card type events. We can work out which format (or formats) work best through further discussion and by putting up a few tester meet ups and see what the feedback is.

So now let's look at board games, would you be interested in events where only board games are played? Would you like to have events where a single game is played and if yes, which games? Or do you want to have events where there are loads of games to play?

Cheers

James
Andrew W.
user 41610712
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 9
well, ive been chatting to hannah and she agrees with me that a seperate event for card games and one for board games is the best option. It would also have the benefit of keeping the numbers down as some people (myself and hannah) get intimidated buy a large turnout event.
James
nmtoken
Cropwell Bishop, GB
Post #: 17
Hi Andy,

Ok, how many people is too many or what range of numbers would be ideal?

James
Monica
MonicaY
Derby, GB
Post #: 212
Let's play TWISTER!!!! laughing

Although it's unlikely I'd come along to any games, hope you don't mind me putting in suggestions in the pot.

How about alternate each month between board & card games? You can still call the card games 'card school' cos that's a really cool name! Rather than one person being tied to hosting it each month, how about those who are interested take in in turns IF they want to?

As for smaller gatherings, those who prefer them can host events where they limit the numbers to whatever they feel comfortable with?
James
nmtoken
Cropwell Bishop, GB
Post #: 18
Well I was thinking that after a few card/board events people could just get together whenever and play or twist... I certainly don't want to be the host of card school in perpetuity, for example; just getting the ball rolling. :)
A former member
Post #: 262
Hi James - thanks for initiating all this, I think you're doing brilliantly.

I'm perhaps a bit more open than others, I don't mind events based only on card or board games, or mixed. I don't mind 'school' events where we teach each other stuff or ones where we are supposed to know the game already. I don't mind large population events or smaller number ones.

In short, I'm not picky and just enjoy game events. :) I think what's important is that all attendees feel comfortable (e.g. newbies are made to feel welcome, everyone who attends who wants to play gets a go and no-one is left out thru thoughtlessness or favouritism), plus that there's enough space and the environment is conducive (decent seating and lighting, not too much noise, no unwelcome intrusion from people not part of the group, good relations with the venue staff, decent food/drink if it's for sale there).

I think after some months there will be sufficient market in the group for any number of different game events, board or card, learning or experienced, large or small, daytime, evening or weekend, pub or cafe. I think it's just a case of starting and letting people ask for what they want or put it on themselves.

I am of course speaking from a certain amount of experience organising game events in social groups. ;) But no I don't want to organise any here, at least at the moment - the most I'd do is co-host as secondary person assuming I turn up. It's up to others to learn this particular role now. :)
Gian Marco P.
user 79496282
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 2
What about chess game?
A former member
Post #: 12
Hi all. I've only just noticed this discussion, even though it has been going for a few months! I have no particular preference and enjoy both card and board games and do not have any strong feelings about either a separate or joint event. Either could work well. It's also the kind of thing that I would go to on an irregular basis, so wouldn't get too involved in the logistics, because I would be unlikely to attend every month. The last 'Card School' that I went to was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it very much :0) It was a nice way to spend a morning/afternoon and there being a range of people made it so much the better. Thanks for organising it James, it was a good idea :0) I'm not in favour of making it exclusive, targeted towards attracting certain types of people or controlling numbers. In fact these things would put me off attending. I think all events should be as open and inclusive as possible under the circumstances which is in the spirit of the group.
James
nmtoken
Cropwell Bishop, GB
Post #: 20
Hi Hannah,

I agree that ideally numbers shouldn't be restricted, but really its a case of finding the right venue. The last event was tagged onto another event, and this next one is also being used as a filler between two other events at Broadway; I'm not sure that Broadway Cafe Bar is the best venue though, so the next venue, if we repeat card school, may not be Broadway... 12 seems the right number because true whist games are games of 4 people or groups of 4 people, and 16 seems too big and 8 too small for this venue.