|Sent on:||Tuesday, December 24, 2013 10:24 PM|
Hello, Novel Lovers. We have so many new members that I wanted to tell each of you how happy I am that you’re one of us. Our meetings are a highlight of each month for me, and I hope for you, too.
Since many of our members haven’t attended a meeting, here are some things you may not know about us:
• We’ve been meeting since February 6, 2011, starting with 12 members. Now we have 116 (!) officially. Our meetings usually have 10-15 people. We depend on the generosity of the members who have large living rooms and plenty of seating to volunteer to host us.
• Yes, we really discuss the book for two hours – unlike many book clubs that use the book as an excuse to get together and socialize. We assume that you’ve read the book and are eager to talk about it. We’re friendly and welcoming – not stodgy at all. But we do take our book discussions seriously!
• We read contemporary novels, often those that have received critical acclaim and/or won literary awards. We try to schedule a few books ahead so you can get the book and plan your time. I post the dates and book titles as soon as they’re decided.
• Please RSVP “yes” when you know you’ll be there, and please change your RSVP if your plans change. Don’t RSVP “yes” if you mean “maybe,” and please don’t be a no-show. We need an accurate count so that our host can set up enough chairs and I can bring badges with the right names. Good idea to check your own RSVPs for our three upcoming meetings now at http://www.meetup.com/Novel-Lovers-of-Sebastopol/ – are they accurate? (Thank you!)
• I send out the host’s address a day or two before the meeting. I wait that long because the RSVPs change so much right up until the day before. If you RSVP after I send out the address, email me directly at [address removed] to request it.
• Bring a snack to share if it’s convenient. We take a snack-and-chat break for 10-15 minutes after the first hour.
• I pay the organizer dues, and it’s helpful if you kick in a dollar or two each meeting. I don’t keep a tally – just give when you can.
• Our message board -- http://www.meetup.com/Novel-Lovers-of-Sebastopol/messages/boards/ -- is sadly underutilized – only about 5 of us read it. Check it out. We talk about future books, author events, and other topics of interest to readers.
Have I forgotten anything? Please email me if you have questions. I look forward to talking books with you!