align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Novel Lovers of Sonoma County, CA Message Board › Any short story lovers among us?

Any short story lovers among us?

Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 57
I love reading contemporary short stories as well as novels. I often finish reading a provocative short story and wish I could discuss it with someone. Would any of you like to join me in meeting monthly to discuss a couple of short stories?

This would not supplant or interfere with our regular meetings -- it would be a smaller, informal group meeting solely to discuss short stories. I envision a few of us buying an anthology and choosing two stories to discuss at each meeting.

If you like this, I propose an anthology such as The Granta Book of the American Short Story: Volume Two. (Amazon link here, and I saw it in Copperfield's, too.) This is a 2007 collection of 44 contemporary, American short stories, and I imagine it would keep us busy.

Post here if you like this idea, and if so, would you like a Sunday afternoon (other than the one we schedule for our novel discussion) or a different day and/or time of day?.

When I was looking at this book in Copperfield's, a staffer told me, "People aren't reading short stories anymore." Oh, dear. I hope that's not true, and if it is, I hope that doesn't mean that good writers will stop writing them. I'm ready to do my part -- you?
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi Joan,
I love your idea, and would be happy to join a small, informal group that meets on Sundays to discuss short stories.
~Shawna
Janine
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 6
I love reading contemporary short stories as well as novels. I often finish reading a provocative short story and wish I could discuss it with someone. Would any of you like to join me in meeting monthly to discuss a couple of short stories?.....

Hi Joan,

What a great idea! Short stories are wonderful. I would be interested in participating. My schedule may make this challenging, but let's see!

Best,

Janine
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 66
Let's just do it, short story lovers. How's Sunday, Dec. 9, 2-4? If that date works for you (my core group) I'll announce it to everyone by email, because many don't read the message board.

What do you think of this plan:

1. We agree to buy either The Granta Book of the American Short Story: Volume Two listed above or the Best American Short Stories 2012 -- let me know if you have a preference.

2. We agree on 2 stories to read by Dec. 9 to discuss. I'm not sure how to make that decision without a lot of spot-reading ahead of time -- maybe choose authors we already know we like?

If you add your comments here, I'll know you're interested. If we have a tiny group (5-6), we can meet at my little house near Freestone. If we get a bigger response, though, we'll need another meeting place.

Let me know what you think!
Janine
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 10
I would love to attend.
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 67
It turns out I'm not free Dec. 9. How's Dec. 16, 2-3:30? If I don't hear pleas for another date, I'll send out an email announcing it.

Yesterday, we decided that the Granta book (be sure you get volume 2) -- currently selling at just $10.26 on Amazon-- would give us plentiful choices. Several people looked at the table of contents and selected these stories for the first meeting:

"Firelight" by Tobias Wolff
"The Rabbit Hole as Likely Explanation" by Ann Beattie
(Should we have a third?)

I'm happy to pass my copy of the book around the group as long as I get it back a few days before our meeting so I can reread the stories.
A former member
Post #: 11
I can be there on the 16th. I'm okay with reading only two stories, but if others want to do three, I'm agreeable. :)
Janine
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 14
I'm checking on that date and will RSVP asap. Although...I do hope my book arrives on time. I have ordered a used copy.
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 72
I announced the meeting. I can lend my copy of the book if you can return it a few days before Dec. 16, so I can re-read the stories.

The library has a copy --it's called "The new Granta book..." instead of volume 2, but the cover photo and story list show that it's the same book. They must have retitled it -- maybe they're considering a volume 3.
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 73
We decided on January 13 for our next Short Stories bonus meeting. We invite your suggestions for the 3 stories in Granta v. 2 that we'll discuss next. If you read one you think we'd like, suggest it here. We'll decide after we get a few suggestions.

We had 6 members at the Dec. 16 meeting and had a high-powered discussion about the stories we had selected and about the short story genre in general. We decided to schedule monthly meetings (in addition to our novel meetings) to discuss more short stories.

Here's another short story anthology that was highly recommended for future reading: The News from Spain: 7 Variations on a Love Story by Joan Wickersham. Amazon link here.