Novel Lovers of Sonoma County, CA Message Board › Shutter Island and other books related to Familiar

Shutter Island and other books related to Familiar

Laura Maslin B.
LauraBradley
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 13
In talking with my husband about Familiar, he asked if anyone compared it to Shutter Island. It's a good comparison - both are narrated by mentally unstable people who may be altering their own reality in an effort to block out their painful pasts. (But SI was a much more rewarding read, IMHO.)
Janine A.
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 23
I'll put this on my reading list, thanks!
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 80
Here are other books mentioned by our Novel Lovers during the discussion of Familiar -- click on links for more info:

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami: It's really long, but I found myself immersed in the world of the book, looking forward to getting back to it. I "read" it via digital audiobook via Audible.com: free offer for new subscribers

Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy. This might be a good book to discuss as a group -- what do you think? It's available very cheaply as a used paperback or ebook.
Janine A.
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 24
I love Murakami, and Woman... by Piercy is wonderful.
Janine A.
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 25
How could I forget: many stories and novels by Philip K. Dick such as Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said.
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 82
We've never explicitly defined what "contemporary" novel means. I thought of it as within the past 10 or 20 years, and I'd be happy with that. Woman on the Edge of Time, though, was first published in 1976. Does that still count as "contemporary"? I agree that it would be worth reading (or, for many of us, rereading) -- I just worry about stretching the contemporary notion. Your thoughts?
Shawna
user 34116822
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 18
Joan, I wouldn't mind how far you stretch the notion of contemporary, because I enjoy reading older books, too. It would be a good question to pose during a meeting, as most members aren't involved in our online discussions.
Janine A.
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 26
Good point, Shawna!