Novel Lovers of Sonoma County, CA Message Board › Suggestions for upcoming books

Suggestions for upcoming books

Crystal O.
user 13860811
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 4
Flying back and forth across country has given me lots of quiet hours to read novels. Three of my recent favorites have been

http://www.amazon.com...­

By Blood by Ellen Ullman - fascinating discussion of what makes family and how we define intimacy

Arcadia by Lauren Goff What is utopia? How do we find it? This is a book about a boy growing up on a commune in Upstate NY and the effects his untraditional upbringing have on his future.

The Vanishers by Heidi Julavits Another book about identity - how we find it, how we choose it? A bit on the esoteric side but very interesting.

A book I recommend but perhaps not for book club is Carry the One. Anyone who has had loved one battle addiction will find a lot to sympathize with in this book. Lovely characters but lacking the meaty issues that make for good book club discussion.
Janine
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 33
Thinking of you a lot, Crystal.

Thanks for these suggestions, I read Ellen Ullman's book and thought it was very good, and I'll put the others on my reading queue. xo
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 95
I'll bring up these suggestions at today's meeting -- if you can't attend, I hope you'll give your comments here.

Arcadia by Lauren Goff

NW by Zadie Smith

Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson -- Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction 2012.
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 96
I'm reading By Blood now, and having trouble sticking with it. Both Crystal and Janine liked it, though.
Crystal O.
user 13860811
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 5
Another recommendation - a book I can really rave about!! Canadian author Anne Michael's The Winter Vault.

Not an easy read but not deliberately confusing the way By Blood was at times, either. The Winter Vault treats difficult themes - what constitutes home, what constitutes place, how does man shape his environment and how does it shape him, what is the role of art in making a life? I found this book incredibly well-written and deeply moving. As a teacher of German, I often think I've read too much about WWII. This book treats that period only tangentially - I'm reading that portion now and I am almost amazed to find someone can still make me see that period in a new way. Michael's book, Fugitive Pieces, garnered a tremendous amount of praise. I can't believe this, her second novel, somehow slipped through my net in 2010.
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 98
Thanks, Crystal -- I'm downloading a sample of The Winter Vault. I haven't read Fugitive Pieces, either -- do you recommend that?
Patti C.
user 11944246
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 1
Hi! I am reading The Book Thief and finding it very enjoyable - though not easy settings and issues. Perhaps the group has read it since it's been out several years. It is narrated by Death, so that is unusual in inself. An exerpt of a description on Amazon:

A New York Times bestseller for seven years running that's soon to be a major motion picture, this Printz Honor book by the author of I Am the Messenger is an unforgettable tale about the ability of books to feed the soul.

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books.
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 99
Patti, yes, we've already read and discussed The Book Thief -- a fine book! You can see all the books we've read here: http://www.meetup.com/Novel-Lovers-of-Sebastopol/events/past/?scroll=true­
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 100
Has anyone read The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman? Interesting reviews on Amazon.

Publisher's summary: "Set against the gorgeous backdrop of Rome, Tom Rachman’s wry, vibrant debut follows the topsy-turvy private lives of the reporters, editors, and executives of an international English-language newspaper as they struggle to keep it - and themselves - afloat. This hilarious and poignant look at the struggles of print news will establish Rachman as one of the 21st century’s most perceptive talents."

NYT review: "This first novel by Tom Rachman, a London-born journalist who has lived and worked all over the world, is so good I had to read it twice simply to figure out how he pulled it off...Each of the novel’s chapters is about a particular staffer (or, in one case, a reader), from the editor in chief on down to a lowly copy editor. The stories interlock, or interlace or inter-something. By the end, we’ve come to know the newsroom through a sort of Cubist lens, with everyone viewed from various angles."

I haven't read it yet -- I was attracted to the topic.
Janine
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 39
Has anyone read The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman? Interesting reviews on Amazon.

Publisher's summary: "Set against the gorgeous backdrop of Rome, Tom Rachman’s wry, vibrant debut follows the topsy-turvy private lives of the reporters, editors, and executives of an international English-language newspaper as they struggle to keep it - and themselves - afloat. This hilarious and poignant look at the struggles of print news will establish Rachman as one of the 21st century’s most perceptive talents."

NYT review: "This first novel by Tom Rachman, a London-born journalist who has lived and worked all over the world, is so good I had to read it twice simply to figure out how he pulled it off...Each of the novel’s chapters is about a particular staffer (or, in one case, a reader), from the editor in chief on down to a lowly copy editor. The stories interlock, or interlace or inter-something. By the end, we’ve come to know the newsroom through a sort of Cubist lens, with everyone viewed from various angles."

I haven't read it yet -- I was attracted to the topic.
Thanks, Joan, it looks great. I'll put it on my queue whether we read it for book club or not. xo