Novel Lovers of Sonoma County, CA Message Board › Book Clubs in the News

Book Clubs in the News

Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 120
I cringed while reading this NYT article about book clubs. I wish the reporter had interviewed one of us!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/fashion/online-book-clubs-talk-that-stays-on-the-page.html?_r=0­
Janine A.
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 48
Oh...my! Cringing indeed, and laughing too. I shared this article with my husband and he said, "yeah..you need a Joan to make it work." T-shirts for all members: You Need a Joan to Make it Work: Novel Lovers of Sonoma County!
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 121
Janine, you made me laugh aloud! Thank you! But yes, all a book club needs is a facilitator to keep the discussion on track. Then the people who want more socializing and less book talk will fall away, leaving the people who are serious about discussing the book and learning from each other.
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 122
I just received an email from MeetUp about a new book club in Marin. Here's how the organizer describes it:

"We are in need of a book club! And not just any ol' book club, but one that speaks to our needs and interests. So let's discuss the next amazing read over some drinks, food, and maybe even some games. We can keep it at home for a more intimate discussion, or meet outdoors at a local cafe, bar, or park."

I hope you're laughing -- I am! After priding ourselves on how seriously we take our book discussions, here's the other extreme.
Janine A.
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 49
biggrin
Christine O.
user 13546112
Petaluma, CA
Post #: 7
I read the same description and was happy that they made their intention so clear; I'm sure it's the kind of book group that many people would really enjoy being part of, but it isn't what ours is about. I love our group!
Joan P.
JoanPrice
Group Organizer
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 125
"A new study found that reading literary fiction leads to better performance on tests of empathy, social perception and emotional intelligence." - New York Times. Our Novel Lovers book club knows that! http://nyti.ms/18yitr...­
Janine A.
user 14867751
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 50
I love that!