Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group 4/15/2012 and on

Books for the group 4/15/2012 and on

Closed to new replies

Barbara K.
user 8861048
Euless, TX
Post #: 7
sorry i missed everyone for Ripley,i kind of liked it. here are some that i recommend:the Natural by Bernard Malamud; Lolita by Vladamer Nabakov; From Here To Eternity by James Jones; Rain by Sommerset Maughm.
someome mentioned 'classics' these might be on the edge
Thuy P H.
user 11401515
Dallas, TX
Post #: 60
I'd really like to do Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua. I have had this on my list to read for a long time, and just met her last night at a book signing.

Here is the link to the Amazon review:­

Here is a link to the Wall Street Journal article that brought her to the forefront of the public outrage (NOTE: she has made several statements that the WSJ came up with the title on its own and that her book was not intended to criticize Western parenting):­

Other recommendations:
*A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (novel about India; easily one of my top ten reads of all time).
*Anything by Thomas Hardy (to keep in line with our classics).
*The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (good book club discussion).
*Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver OR Food for Life by Michael Pollen (non-fiction overview of the U.S. diet and food industry).
*How about a book of poetry? We always do novels. Poems would be a good change.

A former member
Post #: 25
Some Thomas Hardy titles;
"Far From The Madding Crowd" "Tess of the d'Urbervilles"
"Under the Greenwood Tree" "The Return of the Native"
"The Mayor of Casterbridge" "Jude the Obscure "
"A Pair of Blue Eyes" "The Trumpet-Major" "Two on a Tower"
A former member
Post #: 439
"Time and Again" by Jack Finney

"Evelina" by Frances Burney

"Naked" by David Sedaris

I know the comedy books aren't the best ever for discussion but everyone seems to enjoy David Sedaris. If that one gets voted in maybe we'll combine it with food.
user 11363586
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 75
Here are my suggestions

Nikos Kazantzakis. The Last Temptation of Christ.
Dashiell Hammett . The Maltese Falcon.- A fun book- quick read
Theodore Dreiser- Sister Carrie- Never read it but I want to.
Dallas, TX
Post #: 58
I'll have to repeat the House of Leaves recommendation.

Anything Robert Heinlein (Two good options are Stranger in a Strange Land, or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. The latter is a libertarian text, just as a warning.)

The Underground Man by Fyodor Dostoyevski

The Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut (although that may be more Vonnegut than we really want to take)

Also, if we do a children's book, it really ought to be The Phantom Tollbooth. Just sayin'...