Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group March 2013 and on

Books for the group March 2013 and on

Closed to new replies

Barbara K.
user 8861048
Euless, TX
Post #: 9
I am recommending these which have been around for a while, I have read them, they are worth the shelf space:
Zorba the Greek,Kazabtzkis; A Prayer for Owen Meany or, The World According to Garp, or Cider House rules,John Irving; Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov; Billy Bathgate, EL. Doctow Mystic river, Dennis Lehane
Carrie
user 9120589
Euless, TX
Post #: 6
Yes, Barbara, all those Irving books and Mystic River. I haven't read "Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov; Billy Bathgate, EL" but based on the others you recommended I would probably like them too!
Ric S.
user 11789042
Southlake, TX
Post #: 3
I recommend:
"Beggars in Spain" by Nancy Kress.
"Wake" by Robert J Sawyer
"Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorow
Ron
user 15891141
Arlington, TX
Post #: 61
If I could make a humble, totally nonbinding suggestion, some of these recommendations seem to be taking on a more conversational tone - listing off books enjoyed, authors enjoyed, or books aspired to - which is fine, but at some points, especially when discussing favorite authors, it's sort of tough to distinguish "official" book nominations from mere musings. I don't mean that each post should resemble mine, because I realize I go way overboard on formatting (though I've gotten better about it: some of my college papers resembled ransom notes), but if we could clean up our posts to clearly delineate nominated books (with the authors' names appended or at least close by), I think it would be somewhat helpful.

Ric and Barbara have done this really well. Their posts are simple and their nomination intentions are clear.

I hope this doesn't come off as too rude (or not rude enough ;) ). I love the fact that the nominations are so many and so diverse.
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 150
Here are some books I would like to suggest (yes, I'm going to be coming to more meetings, I hope!), based on an online group I'm a part of, and some of the books nominated there for their favorite reads of the year (not necessarily published in 2012):
Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity - Katherine Boo
The Lifeboat - Charlotte Rogan
Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - Ben Fountain

You know I can suggest a million more, but I will hold back! :)
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 22
As per Ron's request, here's a list of my official suggestions:

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs
On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The Happiness Project by Gretchin Rubin
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

Those are nice and simple.

So far as these next two go, they're specifically books I'd like to nominate by the author, but I'm willing to take suggestions on anything else that author has written. Really, I'm nominating the author more than the book.

One Hundred Years of Solitude (or anything) by Gabriel García Márquez
About a Boy (or anything) by Nick Hornby

I had also suggested Last Exit to Brooklyn and Infinite Jest, but I think I'm just going to take those off the table, because I really don't think they'll be well-received by the group. I'll be adding those to the Non-Group book suggestions post.
Carrie
user 9120589
Euless, TX
Post #: 8
Unless this group specializes in Vonnegut, that seems like an awful lot by one author! You read one last year, ]Breakfast of Champions this year.....gag!
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 24
I'm a huge fan of Vonnegut, so one a year doesn't seem bad to me at all. Besides, I wasn't around last year, so I don't even know how much everyone liked/disliked him. I take it you weren't a fan?
linda S.
user 8567609
Southlake, TX
Post #: 210
Ron, I think people are putting descriptions with books as that what was brought up the time we talked about book selections at a meeting . Some people wanted to know if we have read the book or not. In that spirit i nominate the following:
1) State of Wonder_Ann Patchett (read )
2) A Walk in the Woods-Bill Bryson (read)
3) Breathing Lessons Anne Tyler (read)
4)The World According to Garp- John irving (read)
5) Then There Were None-Agatha Christie
6) Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (author calls it speculative fiction and an adventure romance. I just love her description that's why i include it.
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 152
Can I throw in a couple of books to go along with Cisco's list? He would like to read anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Nick Hornby. Just being selfish here, because I've read some and would prefer to read something I haven't read, so I'm going to suggest these two:

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
News of a Kidnappping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez