addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group April 2014 and on

Books for the group April 2014 and on

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 237
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
1984 by George orwell
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 76
I recommended these last time, but they only missed the cutoff by one or two votes, so maybe they'll do better this time:

About a Boy by Nick Hornby
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony
Susan L
user 7183573
Group Organizer
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 367
The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer. This is one that will, I think, appeal to the men in the group as well, and it's one of her funnier ones. I don't want to say anything about the plot beyond what the title tells you smile.

Of Heyer's historical novels, I like Spanish Bride the best. It's based on the true story of Brigade-Major Harry Smith and the very young Spanish noblewoman he met and married during the Peninsular Wars, when the Duke of Wellington's forces fought Napoleon's army in Spain and Portugal.
Jim B.
user 4260314
Arlington, TX
Post #: 392
City Limit by Lantzee Miller. The author is a native of Oak Cliff and the novel is set in Oak Cliff, so there may be some interest there. It's very dark and gritty so it won't be to everyone's taste. Wouldn't be a favorite of the Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce, if there is such a thing.
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 77
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

I've been hesitant to suggest this one, because I know there have been complaints about the author, but I've really been in the mood to re-read the book, since it's really my favorite of his. I promise that if it's chosen and the group still isn't a fan of his afterwards, I'll stop recommending his stuff.
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 81
Peter Pan by JM Barrie
Tim
Tim_Williams
Plano, TX
Post #: 21
Two books that I have read recently that just blew me away:

The Skinner by Neal Asher
A ripping SF yarn that takes place on the high seas of the most hostile planet in the galaxy - hard to imagine but it worked so well. A 2002 release.

The Four Feathers by AEW Mason
A classic novel from 1902. Yes, its been made in to a couple of movies over the years and that put the title in my head, but the movies are little like the book. Old, but very readable for the modern reader.
A former member
Post #: 1,045
Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer

From Publishers Weekly
Just as A Mormon Mother is the standout memoir of a 19th-century polygamous woman's life, this autobiography offers the compelling voice of a contemporary plural wife's experiences. Daughter of a second wife, Spencer was raised strictly in the Principle as it was lived secretly and illegally by fringe communities of Mormon fundamentalists—groups that split off from the LDS Church when it abandoned polygamy more than a century ago. In spite of her mother's warnings and the devotion of a boyfriend with monogamist intentions, Spencer followed her religious convictions—that living in polygamy was essential for eternal salvation—and became a second wife herself at the age of 16 in 1953. It's hard to tell which is more devastating in this memoir: the strains of husband-sharing with—ultimately—nine other wives, or the unremitting poverty that came with maintaining so many households and 56 children. Spencer's writing is lively and full of engaging dialogue, and her life is nothing short of astonishing. After 28 years of polygamous marriage, Spencer has lived the last 19 years in monogamy. Her story will be emotional and shocking, but many readers will resonate with the universal question the memoir raises: how to reconcile inherited religious beliefs when they grate against social norms and the deepest desires of the heart.
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 85
The Sign of the Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Tim
Tim_Williams
Plano, TX
Post #: 23
The Sign of the Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
I can get behind that one. It's already on my very lengthy personal reading list.