addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged

A former member
Post #: 100
Atlas Shrugged comes up quite often in the meetups and I'm not always the one who brings it up. We try to avoid books/topics on politics and religion that might ruin meetings for some. It probably doesn't help when the organizer is the worst about pulling us into these discussions. :)

Perhaps it is worth discussing adding the book for the group. It is worth reading for the fictional story and several of my liberal friends have loved the book though they did not agree with it. While there is a unique story, the reader is hit over the head with Rand's philosophy.

Because of the nature of this selection I think it would only be fair to add if there is a near unanimous wish for it. If one or two don't wish to read it and don't wish to lose those weeks that could be spent discussing other books then it's out. Reading this book based on majority rule would be the ultimate irony.

If you don't wish to read it but don't care about missing a few weeks then please let me know that and I won't count it as a vote against.

If there is a comparable book of the opposite political philosophy and enough support for reading that one, then we can add that to keep it fair. It might be best to stick to one that discusses a philosophical standpoint and not one that just attacks or supports specific politicians or programs.

Perhaps we could add a new meeting in what would have been an off week so that none are lost to those not interested.

It's only fair to just let those who actively attend meetings decide. It would be in the October or later time frame because of the size.

If you have no idea what this book is about or what the Libertarian philosophy is -- very small government, majority rule means nothing because you own your life.

You might not want to go to Wikipedia and read the plot if you're open to reading it because the spoilers will take away from the story.
Debbie B
user 8425642
Roanoke, TX
Post #: 1
Hey, I'm up for it - with your previous mentions of it, and the above, you've got me intrigued.
We promise we won't start throwing chairs.
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 3
I'm definitely up for it. I've always wanted to read it, and I've heard so many recommendations lately because it is supposedly "coming true," according to one side. In my experience, people either love Ayn Rand or absolutely deplore anything and everything she ever wrote or stood for. No doubt it would be a great discussion!

But I might throw a chair or two, just for fun. Let's invite Geraldo!!
A former member
Post #: 101
Chairs I don't mind. Broken bones heal. We will, however, have a moratorium on bringing water balloons. That could lead to wet, messed-up hair and one just can't have that if one is metro. ;-)

On second thought, better nix the chairs. Y'all have that "I wouldn't want to p*ss her off" kinda thing going on and then there is Julie's whole "feeling stabby" facet to consider. I'll bring waivers.

It might be good to separate the meeting into two parts. We could talk exclusively about the story and characters first for those who are only interested in that. Anyone who wanted could leave after and then we could have a later discussion about the philosophy. We'll have to see who is interested in what.

If no one wants to stay for the second part I'll sit around in a circle alone and laud myself for how ingenious I am for loving freedom. "Oh no, Damon, you're the man!" I'd better see when the library closes because that could go on for hours.

Since it might run long we could bring food or if the second group is small have that part at a restaurant.

For all those reading this who have never attended a meeting -- all classifications of personalities in this message are completely fictional; except one.
A former member
Post #: 5
I am a member who has yet to come out to a meeting but I have just started reading Atlas Shrugged and I just wanted to say that it is an incredible book - even more so due to the life (or end) of the author!
Debbie B
user 8425642
Roanoke, TX
Post #: 2
Radical political philosophy, margaritas, and a 'stabby' Julie. Sounds like a dangerously fantastic mix - tell me when to be there!
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 4
I'm definitely up for both parts. Not having read it, I'm not sure how you separate the discussion into those two parts without mixing it up. But I'm in. And margaritas? I wouldn't be stabby with margaritas. Actually, I promise not to stab or throw chairs at all book club meetings, liquor or not. I'm getting a bad rep.

Another idea for people who really wanted to (and this could probably be decided at the meeting) would be to have additional meetings, so that maybe we could discuss the first half of the book one week, and the entire thing the second week. Or just have an additional meeting if we thought we needed/wanted it. Totally impromptu. I'm sure this kind of book needs a lot of discussion. We don't have to join the Ayn Rand Society or anything, I'm just saying an additional discussion might be something to think about. But it sounds like I'm making it too complicated.

Has anyone read any other Ayn Rand? I've read Anthem twice and really liked it. I'm hoping to read Atlas Shrugged and eventually follow it up with The Fountainhead. I've seen the movie of The Fountainhead, so I know what it's basically about, but I love architecture, so I'm hoping to learn something about that as well in the book.
A former member
Post #: 102
Those sound like good suggestions. I wasn't sure if four weeks would be enough and if not we can play around with ideas like having three weeks after a meeting, doing something small like Voltaire's Candide for those in good shape on AS and those who don't want to read AS, and then have the AS meeting/meetings 2-3 weeks later. I'm sure once the group is talking about it we'll have a solution that works. It isn't one you want to rush through. There is a lot to think about.

I read Anthem and The Fountainhead. I own the movie and thought Patricia Neal was a wise choice. Reading Fountainhead second was a bit of a let down because it isn't as good. I have We The Living waiting.

Sorry about your bad rep. Julie is actually social and quite witty. Her Facebook page is a riot!

Suzanne, you have no excuse not to join us now!
A former member
Post #: 9
Well since I was the one that so covertly slipped it into the last meeting i definitely vote for it. the possible floor show would be an added benefit. i like the idea of a book and political/philsophy discussion. it would be like being back in college and eating pizza, drinking beer and debating philsophy. we could even come up with an atlas shrugged menu. although i am stumped on what it could be.
i have read atlas shrugged and the fountainhead. julie i think you would like the fountainhead. i haven't read anthem as i thought it was more philosophy than story.
Linda S.
Ps-the other Linda the woman in this book is definitely a strong character.
A former member
Post #: 1
I am definitely up for it-It is one of those books I have always thought about reading and now I will have the impetus to do so. Should be a fascinating read and meeting for sure!