addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged

A former member
Post #: 1
My first meeting will be the upcoming one on the 12 but I still thought I'd put in my two cents about Atlas Shrugged... I read Atlas a couple of years ago and would not mind refreshing myself in November... I thought it was a good book, one I would obviously consider reading again for the purpose of discussion. My husband says that The Fountainhead, another of Ayn Rands novels, is the best book in the world and I have yet to read it... it is one I'd like to suggest if Atlas doesn't make the cut!
Terri
territamu
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 4
UGH!!! I started rereading Atlas Shrugged yesterday...and once again it's trapping me into losing sleep! I just got off of a 10-day vacation, so no chance of taking any time off. Curse you Damon!!!
Julius
user 8686841
Carrollton, TX
Atlas Shrugged is one of those books that can turn people into fundamentalists. If anyone starts feeling any tendencies towards thinking Ms.Rand's philosophy is bullet-proof, please email me ha ha. I read the book just a year or two ago, and I really enjoyed her other books. When reading this book (like many others) you are exposed to ideas in a vacuum...so it is critical to break the seal.

I encourage anyone who is a very strong advocate (or becoming one) of her philosophy to read some books related to economics, and of course other philosophers who are not in the same school. It turns out that she makes a lot of claims in fields she is not well read in. People who become members of her little militia end up looking tragically naive. In short: keep an open mind!
A former member
Post #: 114
UGH!!! I started rereading Atlas Shrugged yesterday...and once again it's trapping me into losing sleep! I just got off of a 10-day vacation, so no chance of taking any time off. Curse you Damon!!!

Ha. You'll get plenty of sleep when you're older.

I first read it between classes at Georgia Tech. I was torn whether to keep going so I could find out more or only read a bit so I could stretch it out for a long time to have more to look forward to.

But then when it got to the part where the aliens come in and that thing with Elvis and Dagny's evil twin and the jet packs... whew, just couldn't bring myself to put it down!
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 9
Hey, for those of you who plan to join us for the "after party" (the political discussion) after the regular book club meeting, where would you like to go? I think Damon was hoping to go somewhere casual that serves some food and drinks (of the adult beverage type). He doesn't live in the area, so I thought I'd post some options around the library and see if anyone has a preference or any ideas. So, please chime in ASAP, so we can finalize plans!

some options (all pretty much on 183, near the Euless library or a bit West):
Buffalo Wild Wings, Twin Peaks, Razzoo's, On the Border, Boomer Jack's, Duke's Roadhouse, Posado's, Abuelo's, Cheddar's, Chili's

Other ideas are certainly welcome!

If the weather's nice, I'd like to go somewhere with a patio, if it's not cold. Maybe On the Border? But really, I'm open to anything. If the weather's cold and we need to stay indoors, I'd vote for probably Buffalo Wild Wings. And I'd vote against Duke's, because it's way too loud, and more of a "meat market," if you know what I mean. (Not all Duke's locations are like that, but this one is.)
A former member
Post #: 16
Julie,
i would vote for on the border.. i like Buffalo's but think you would be competing with football crazies here as they advertise what a great place they are to catch the game. somewhere we could have our own area would be nice but not sure if any place around the library has that.
A former member
Post #: 17
i am also having the problem of not wanting to sleep or work until i finish this. i think the political discussion will be interesting but i had forgotten how much i enjoyed the style of writing and the characters in this book. i feel like i'm visiting an old friend and now i remember why i liked them so much.
damon, i like the new picture.
Linda
Terri
territamu
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 5

But then when it got to the part where the aliens come in and that thing with Elvis and Dagny's evil twin and the jet packs... whew, just couldn't bring myself to put it down!

That and the sex tape with Dagny and Paris Hilton...yowza!!!

Terri
territamu
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 6

some options (all pretty much on 183, near the Euless library or a bit West):
Buffalo Wild Wings, Twin Peaks, Razzoo's, On the Border, Boomer Jack's, Duke's Roadhouse, Posado's, Abuelo's, Cheddar's, Chili's

Either of these sound good to me...but think Linda may be right about some of the bar/tv options for Sunday afternoon.
A former member
I agree that a sports bar on a Sunday may be tough to have a conversation unless it ends up in yelling...then we'll fit right in. =-)

As for the book, I'm working on getting over the mental barrier that the book is the longest thing I will ever read. The good news is I have 9 hours of flying coming up soon. That should help me make a dent.